Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

When soldering small SMT resistors, capacitors and transistors, I can't get them FLAT

Status
Not open for further replies.

walters

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
When soldering small SMT resistors, capacitors and transistors, I can't get them FLAT on the PCB

I have to use the Hot Air gun to melt the solder to make the component FLAT on the PCB

If I use the soldering iron to solder SMT components, The SMT components have a Slant or they are lifted on one side

How do you place and push down or keep the component in place while soldering?

Using tweezers the small SMT part will fly away or it keeps slipping out of the tweezers arms and falling out and it's really had to place it and solder , tack in the SMT component

When I use the Hot Air gun it will heat up both sides of the SMT resistor or capacitor and it will melt the pads flat and I can remove and place it better

But most of my SMT solders using a soldering iron on Slanted or they look like the are lifted on one side? How can I get it flat?

I usually place the part on the pads with a tweezers, then use the tips of the tweezers to gently press down on the middle of the package while I solder one contact. Once one side is down, I solder the other side (no need to hold the part down, because the first solder joint holds it in place). I've never had an issue with flatness using that method.

I usually place the part on the pads with a tweezers, then use the tips of the tweezers to gently press down on the middle of the package while I solder one contact. Once one side is down, I solder the other side (no need to hold the part down, because the first solder joint holds it in place). I've never had an issue with flatness using that method.

I have tried this method and it doesn't work for me
1.) When I press down on the package it moves side to side, it's very hard to center the SMT resistor in the middle so both pads line up

What can I use besides tweezers to hold a SMT resistor or capacitor down?

if you have solder on both pads at the same time it can be tricky without hot air or an oven

This is my problem because I'm doing rework at this job I'm at and you have to desolder the SMT resistors and capacitors

So both pads have solder already on them. When I'm placing the new SMT resistor it's very have to get it FLAT, because it look slanted and not flat to the PCB

Another problem is when I'm desoldering, trying to lift one side up is hard too, What is the best tool to use because I can't heat up both of the pads at the same time so trying to lift up one side is a pain with only one soldering iron

My last job used a Hot Air gun to solder and desolder SMT components

Using a soldering iron is much harder

The problem also using a Hot air gun is the AIR will blow the SMT resistor away

So it's the way problem I have of finding the best tool to use to keep a SMT resistor from moving?

My friend you dont need hot air and oven for small resistors and such things, hot air just on IC and bigger things, connectors,......

You must perform cleaning of place before putting new parts. Use desoldering braid to clean, with flux.

After cleaning, all is ready for new part.

You can use soldering/desoldering tweezers.

**broken link removed**

Another problem is when I'm desoldering, trying to lift one side up is hard too, What is the best tool to use because I can't heat up both of the pads at the same time so trying to lift up one side is a pain with only one soldering iron

You should realy try to use flux.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back