Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to develope a device driver for windowXP ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bianchi77

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Guys,
Do you know on how develope device driver for window XP ?
I want to connect 18F4550 board into window XP environment .

Any ideas or suggestions will be very appreciated.

Thanks

Hello!

The easiest way: don't develop anything. Use an existing Bluetooth or Zigbee transmitter and you're on air.

Dora.

Hello!

The easiest way: don't develop anything. Use an existing Bluetooth or Zigbee transmitter and you're on air.

Dora.

so I put bluetooth or zigbee transmitter into window xp for communicating with 18F4550 ?
do you have reference for window c code ( window application ) that can read from bluetooth or zigbee ?

Thanks

Are you intending wireless communication? A simple USB connection (e.g. CDC or HID) would be the "natural" choice with a 4550, not mentioning legacy RS232.

Are you intending wireless communication? A simple USB connection (e.g. CDC or HID) would be the "natural" choice with a 4550, not mentioning legacy RS232.
do you have an example ?

Hello!

so I put bluetooth or zigbee transmitter into window xp for communicating with 18F4550 ?
do you have reference for window c code ( window application ) that can read from bluetooth or zigbee ?

I would try google...

In fact, if you don't tell us the whole story, it's very difficult to help you.
You can within minutes write an application that sends bytes using Bluetooth and receive these bytes
on your favorite PC or Mac or Linux.
Now, what bit rate do you need? Do you need flow control? Do you want to catch and store raw data
or do you want to display it in real time, etc, etc...

Dora.

Hello!

I would try google...

In fact, if you don't tell us the whole story, it's very difficult to help you.
You can within minutes write an application that sends bytes using Bluetooth and receive these bytes
on your favorite PC or Mac or Linux.
Now, what bit rate do you need? Do you need flow control? Do you want to catch and store raw data
or do you want to display it in real time, etc, etc...

Dora.

the exact spec, I can not see yet but I need to create and sound processor which connected to windowXP and prossed the voice in OS, I think I'm gonna need a device driver, don't you think so, do you have the link for them ?

Just for thinking look this :

HIDmaker FS
**broken link removed**
that's good idea, but abit pricy.

Does someone have an experience in writing a code for device driver ? I have a look already on Window Device Driver Kit and try to learn now, who knows someone has a better experience, and can share abit of knowledge about it, thanks in advance.

---------- Post added at 13:41 ---------- Previous post was at 13:28 ----------

The idea is very simple first, create a driver that connect to my application in window and I can control LED on and off on board via USB...

See this project, you should get something from that :

Attachments

• !!! USB 6 ADC, 16 Digital IO PIC18F4550.rar
    5.2 MB · Views: 95
PIC USB programming examples including the PC side can be e.g. found in the Michrochip Application Library, also in programming examples from compiler vendors.

See this project, you should get something from that :
Thanks, I'll read and learn, get back to you later....

---------- Post added at 13:55 ---------- Previous post was at 13:53 ----------

PIC USB programming examples including the PC side can be e.g. found in the Michrochip Application Library, also in programming examples from compiler vendors.
do you have the exact link ?

I've been trying to find the implementation of :
driver.jpg in C code...I saw example in WDK 7.10 CD, but have no idea on how to use it ( make them work together with my card PIC18F4550 )

Bianchi sorry I realy dont understand how do you mean interface will be on USB. On circuit PIC18F4550 use USB port. Both examples are for USB.

Hello!

the exact spec, I can not see yet but I need to create and sound processor which
connected to windowXP and prossed the voice in OS, I think I'm gonna need a device
driver, don't you think so, do you have the link for them ?

Process the voice in which OS? Windows or an OS on your MCU board?
What kind of processing? How many channels? What sample rate?
If you process sound on your PC, then you need a plain interface to send audio
data to windows, am I right?

Does someone have an experience in writing a code for device driver ? I have a look
already on Window Device Driver Kit and try to learn now, who knows someone has a better
experience, and can share abit of knowledge about it, thanks in advance.

I do (my job consists for 50% in writing drivers, the rest being applications and
hardware). When I start using a new kind of driver I have never used before (for
example when I started with USB), I first find a reference design. It is available
from all the MCU makers, I guess. They want to sell MCUs, and helping developers
will yield more MCUs sold, so they usually help you. You should go to your favourite
processor maker's site and try to get sample code.

Now concerning the link you posted. You have 6 analog inputs. Do you want to use
them all? In this case, I guess the bottleneck will be your chip.

Dora.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back