+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 38 of 38
  1. #21
    Full Member level 2
    Points: 1,087, Level: 7

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    126
    Helped
    3 / 3
    Points
    1,087
    Level
    7

    Re: MSP430F5438 bootloader using SerialPort

    Quote Originally Posted by mgate View Post
    In Order to reply you questions,

    To enter BSL mode, communication hardware must allow access to TEST, RESET, P1.1 and P1.2. .. The BSL Entry Sequence can not be done by manually pressing reset and test..

    The converted Serial: DTR, RTS, RXD, and TXD are connected to the F5438: RST, TEST, BSL-TXD and BSL-RXD respectively.



    The signal of DTR, RTS, must be logically inverted on the RS232 levels either by software or hardware...

    Check chapter 4 and 6 of http://www.ti.com/lit/ug/slau319b/slau319b.pdf for more info and for reference design hardware connection for BSL usage

    _____
    You should have no problem with revision L
    Sir i am facing following problem.....


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	73312



  2. #22
    Full Member level 4
    Points: 1,381, Level: 8
    mgate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    197
    Helped
    37 / 37
    Points
    1,381
    Level
    8

    Re: MSP430F5438 bootloader using SerialPort

    0xEE is the code for timeout.

    Any one of these could be the cause of this:
    • Incorrect COM, or incorrect/no hardware connection between the PC and MSP430
    • BSL not actually in the device (in case of have been previously erased)
    • Invoke sequence not working.



    Can you show the wiring diagram of your serial communication to msp430?

    ---------- Post added at 10:32 ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 ----------

    If you don't have the proper serial interface for BSL usage, consider using MAX3238 for interfacing the MSP430 with the serial signals
    _______________
    teach in order to learn


    1 members found this post helpful.

  3. #23
    Full Member level 2
    Points: 1,087, Level: 7

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    126
    Helped
    3 / 3
    Points
    1,087
    Level
    7

    Re: MSP430F5438 bootloader using SerialPort

    Quote Originally Posted by mgate View Post
    0xEE is the code for timeout.

    Any one of these could be the cause of this:
    • Incorrect COM, or incorrect/no hardware connection between the PC and MSP430
    • BSL not actually in the device (in case of have been previously erased)
    • Invoke sequence not working.



    Can you show the wiring diagram of your serial communication to msp430?

    Dear sir,
    wiring diagram means what?


    i connected MSP430 to the PC using BSL programmer.
    the BSL programmer CKT diagram is given in "MSP430 Programming Via the Bootstrap Loader User's Guide" chapter 4.1



    This BSL programmer is connected to the port pins of MSP430 using FRC cable,


    Fig shown below...

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	7.5 KB 
ID:	73314


    Thank you...



  4. #24
    Full Member level 4
    Points: 1,381, Level: 8
    mgate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    197
    Helped
    37 / 37
    Points
    1,381
    Level
    8

    Re: MSP430F5438 bootloader using SerialPort

    This BSL programmer is connected to the port pins of MSP430 using FRC cable
    you can't connect tck if you have a test pin, so it says in 4.1.3 of http://www.ti.com/lit/ug/slau319b/slau319b.pdf
    Signal TCK must not be connected on devices with the TEST pin.
    If you are using that circuit, make sure you are not inverting the DTR and the RTS signals on the PC Serial driver...

    Serial settings:
    9600 baud (half duplex)
    1 Start bit,
    8 databits, LSB first
    even parity
    1 stop bit
    Last edited by mgate; 28th April 2012 at 11:19. Reason: Error on the post, my bad
    _______________
    teach in order to learn


    1 members found this post helpful.

    •   AltAdvertisement

        
       

  5. #25
    Full Member level 2
    Points: 1,087, Level: 7

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    126
    Helped
    3 / 3
    Points
    1,087
    Level
    7

    Re: MSP430F5438 bootloader using SerialPort

    Quote Originally Posted by mgate View Post
    you can't connect tck if you have a test pin, so it says in 4.1.3 of http://www.ti.com/lit/ug/slau319b/slau319b.pdf


    If you are using that circuit, make sure you are not inverting the DTR and the RTS signals on the PC Serial driver...

    Serial settings:
    9600 baud (half duplex)
    1 Start bit,
    8 databits, LSB first
    even parity
    1 stop bit
    Dear sir,

    how to do these following Serial settings:?


    Serial settings:
    9600 baud (half duplex)
    1 Start bit,
    8 databits, LSB first
    even parity
    1 stop bit


    Thank you...

    ---------- Post added at 10:44 ---------- Previous post was at 10:01 ----------

    Dear Sir,

    When i selected USB. it showing following error.

    ------------------------------------------
    BSL Scripting application 1.06
    The local time is: 10:39 on 30.04.2012
    ------------------------------------------
    Initializing, Mode: 5438 USB: USB
    Changing Baud Rate to 9600 DONE
    Mass Erase: DONE
    RX Password: DONE
    Writing MSP430TB.txt to device: DONE
    CRC from 5c00 of 4096 bytes to 982b NOT A MATCH (0000)

    C:\BSL Scripter>


    Thank you



  6. #26
    Full Member level 4
    Points: 1,381, Level: 8
    mgate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    197
    Helped
    37 / 37
    Points
    1,381
    Level
    8

    Re: MSP430F5438 bootloader using SerialPort

    Quote Originally Posted by sunil880089 View Post

    When i selected USB. it showing following error.

    ------------------------------------------
    BSL Scripting application 1.06
    The local time is: 10:39 on 30.04.2012
    ------------------------------------------
    Initializing, Mode: 5438 USB: USB
    Changing Baud Rate to 9600 DONE
    Mass Erase: DONE
    RX Password: DONE
    Writing MSP430TB.txt to device: DONE
    CRC from 5c00 of 4096 bytes to 982b NOT A MATCH (0000)

    C:\BSL Scripter>

    That is a successful write... CRC check is only a Monitor tool ... Performs a CRC check starting at the given Address over length number of bytes. This command will simply output the result of the CRC operation, or compare the result to a supplied value and report whether there is a match or not.. (in your case it will try to match it to the provided 0000)... anyway the CRC check is only for checking the data written, and it is only useful if you know what result to expect.. (like when you calculate on the .rom file).

    __________
    To change Baud rate of serial port and other settings, you can do it on the Device Manager, goto to ports, and right click the port you are using and select properties..

    If your port driver don't let you select the baud, you can try to change baudrate on the BSL_Scripter's script.txt

    You could use something similar to

    MODE 543x_family COM1
    CHANGE_BAUD_RATE 9600
    MASS_ERASE
    RX_PASSWORD
    RX_DATA_BLOCK Big_File.txt
    CRC 5C00 1000 982B
    _______________
    teach in order to learn



    •   AltAdvertisement

        
       

  7. #27
    Full Member level 2
    Points: 1,087, Level: 7

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    126
    Helped
    3 / 3
    Points
    1,087
    Level
    7

    Re: MSP430F5438 bootloader using SerialPort

    Quote Originally Posted by mgate View Post
    That is a successful write... CRC check is only a Monitor tool ... Performs a CRC check starting at the given Address over length number of bytes. This command will simply output the result of the CRC operation, or compare the result to a supplied value and report whether there is a match or not.. (in your case it will try to match it to the provided 0000)... anyway the CRC check is only for checking the data written, and it is only useful if you know what result to expect.. (like when you calculate on the .rom file).

    __________
    To change Baud rate of serial port and other settings, you can do it on the Device Manager, goto to ports, and right click the port you are using and select properties..

    If your port driver don't let you select the baud, you can try to change baudrate on the BSL_Scripter's script.txt

    You could use something similar to

    MODE 543x_family COM1
    CHANGE_BAUD_RATE 9600
    MASS_ERASE
    RX_PASSWORD
    RX_DATA_BLOCK Big_File.txt
    CRC 5C00 1000 982B
    Dear Sir,

    when i try to download the Application code to the MSP430F5438 using BSL programmer(BSL_Scripter.exe)

    i am facing following Problem...

    BSL Scripting application 1.06
    The local time is: 12:19 on 30.04.2012
    ------------------------------------------
    Initializing, Mode: 5438 COM: COM1 DONE
    Changing Baud Rate to 9600 DONE
    Mass Erase: FAIL(ee)
    RX Password: FAIL(ee)
    Writing MSP430TB.txt to device: FAIL writing data block starting at 5c00
    CRC from 5c00 of 4096 bytes to 982b FAIL....

    please help me...

    Thank you..



  8. #28
    Full Member level 4
    Points: 1,381, Level: 8
    mgate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    197
    Helped
    37 / 37
    Points
    1,381
    Level
    8

    Re: MSP430F5438 bootloader using SerialPort

    the problem might be in your DTR and RTS... this signals must be High for logic true, and low for logic false... can you check them?
    _______________
    teach in order to learn


    1 members found this post helpful.

    •   AltAdvertisement

        
       

  9. #29
    Full Member level 2
    Points: 1,087, Level: 7

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    126
    Helped
    3 / 3
    Points
    1,087
    Level
    7

    Re: MSP430F5438 bootloader using SerialPort

    Quote Originally Posted by mgate View Post
    the problem might be in your DTR and RTS... this signals must be High for logic true, and low for logic false... can you check them?
    Dear sir, how to check DTR and RTS....i think My BSL programmer is not working...

    thank you,



  10. #30
    Full Member level 4
    Points: 1,381, Level: 8
    mgate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    197
    Helped
    37 / 37
    Points
    1,381
    Level
    8

    Re: MSP430F5438 bootloader using SerialPort

    You can plug in your BSL programmer and set DTR and RTS high with the help of Realterm (under the tab port): http://sourceforge.net/projects/realterm/files/

    then just check the signals with a multimeter in the test and reset pins of the mcu
    _______________
    teach in order to learn


    1 members found this post helpful.

  11. #31
    Full Member level 2
    Points: 1,087, Level: 7

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    126
    Helped
    3 / 3
    Points
    1,087
    Level
    7

    Re: MSP430F5438 bootloader using SerialPort

    Quote Originally Posted by mgate View Post
    You can plug in your BSL programmer and set DTR and RTS high with the help of Realterm (under the tab port): http://sourceforge.net/projects/realterm/files/

    then just check the signals with a multimeter in the test and reset pins of the mcu
    K sir, thank you.
    i will follow your suggestions.



  12. #32
    Full Member level 4
    Points: 1,381, Level: 8
    mgate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    197
    Helped
    37 / 37
    Points
    1,381
    Level
    8

    Re: MSP430F5438 bootloader using SerialPort

    I just hope it helps =)

    Don't forget to double check the pin out..

    Serial Port DB9 --> MCU PIN
    2 --> P1.1
    3 --> P2.2
    4 --> RST
    7 --> TEST

    One other thing, I've seen Issues with the reference BSL Programmer from the TI datasheet... They have problems with power stability... Consider to try using other power supply then the one from the com port ...

    Also, in future consider use a MAX3238 to make a BSL Programmer ... You will have 3 lines for PC - MCU (TX, DTR , RTS), and 1 of 4 lines for MCU-PC (RX)... You will only need to invert DTR and RTS signal on the Serial adapter driver
    _______________
    teach in order to learn


    1 members found this post helpful.

  13. #33
    Full Member level 2
    Points: 1,087, Level: 7

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    126
    Helped
    3 / 3
    Points
    1,087
    Level
    7

    Re: MSP430F5438 bootloader using SerialPort

    Quote Originally Posted by mgate View Post
    I just hope it helps =)

    Don't forget to double check the pin out..

    Serial Port DB9 --> MCU PIN
    2 --> P1.1
    3 --> P2.2
    4 --> RST
    7 --> TEST

    One other thing, I've seen Issues with the reference BSL Programmer from the TI datasheet... They have problems with power stability... Consider to try using other power supply then the one from the com port ...

    Also, in future consider use a MAX3238 to make a BSL Programmer ... You will have 3 lines for PC - MCU (TX, DTR , RTS), and 1 of 4 lines for MCU-PC (RX)... You will only need to invert DTR and RTS signal on the Serial adapter driver
    K sir, thank you.

    i will follow your suggestions.

    Regards
    Sunil



  14. #34
    Full Member level 4
    Points: 1,381, Level: 8
    mgate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    197
    Helped
    37 / 37
    Points
    1,381
    Level
    8

    Re: MSP430F5438 bootloader using SerialPort

    Have you managed to solve the problem?

    If so, please say what was the problem and how did you solved it in order to others can find help in this thread..
    _______________
    teach in order to learn



    •   AltAdvertisement

        
       

  15. #35
    Full Member level 2
    Points: 1,087, Level: 7

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    126
    Helped
    3 / 3
    Points
    1,087
    Level
    7

    Re: MSP430F5438 bootloader using SerialPort

    Quote Originally Posted by mgate View Post
    Have you managed to solve the problem?

    If so, please say what was the problem and how did you solved it in order to others can find help in this thread..
    Dear sir,

    Still problem is not solved.
    i think problem with the BSL programmer.

    Thank you.



  16. #36
    Full Member level 4
    Points: 1,381, Level: 8
    mgate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    197
    Helped
    37 / 37
    Points
    1,381
    Level
    8

    Re: MSP430F5438 bootloader using SerialPort

    try getting a MAX3238 and wire it to the msp430 .. maybe you can get a sample...

    check:
    http://www.maxim-ic.com/datasheet/in...p/id/1517/t/or
    http://www.maxim-ic.com/datasheet/in...p/id/2221/t/or

    You could also use a few rs3232 only for test.. you need 3 lines from the comp to the MCU and one line to the computer
    _______________
    teach in order to learn


    1 members found this post helpful.

  17. #37
    Full Member level 2
    Points: 1,087, Level: 7

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    126
    Helped
    3 / 3
    Points
    1,087
    Level
    7

    Re: MSP430F5438 bootloader using SerialPort

    Quote Originally Posted by mgate View Post
    try getting a MAX3238 and wire it to the msp430 .. maybe you can get a sample...

    check:
    http://www.maxim-ic.com/datasheet/in...p/id/1517/t/or
    http://www.maxim-ic.com/datasheet/in...p/id/2221/t/or

    You could also use a few rs3232 only for test.. you need 3 lines from the comp to the MCU and one line to the computer
    K . sir thank you... i will follow Your suggestions.



  18. #38
    Newbie level 1
    Points: 633, Level: 5

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1
    Helped
    0 / 0
    Points
    633
    Level
    5

    Re: MSP430F5438 bootloader using SerialPort

    Dear mgate,

    I followed all your previous posts and my BSL related circuit and BSL utility works perfect.

    I am using MSP430F2616 device.
    The BSL utility works perfectly when code size is small, but it gives errors when code size is large.

    It gives following message: (I had skipped initial part and posted only last portion)

    Program starting at ff30, 142 bytes... Error: 0
    Program starting at ffe2, 4 bytes... Error: 0
    Program starting at ffee, 6 bytes... Error: 0
    Program starting at fff8, 240 bytes... Error: 0
    Program starting at 100e8, 240 bytes... Error: 6
    ERROR: Verification failed!

    Please guide me how to resolve this issue.

    Regards
    Bhushan



--[[ ]]--