Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

MSP430F5438 bootloader using SerialPort

Status
Not open for further replies.
In Order to reply you questions,

To enter BSL mode, communication hardware must allow access to TEST, RESET, P1.1 and P1.2. .. The BSL Entry Sequence can not be done by manually pressing reset and test..

The converted Serial: DTR, RTS, RXD, and TXD are connected to the F5438: RST, TEST, BSL-TXD and BSL-RXD respectively.

The signal of DTR, RTS, must be logically inverted on the RS232 levels either by software or hardware...

Check chapter 4 and 6 of **broken link removed** for more info and for reference design hardware connection for BSL usage

_____
You should have no problem with revision L
Sir i am facing following problem.....

4.jpg

0xEE is the code for timeout.

Any one of these could be the cause of this:
  • Incorrect COM, or incorrect/no hardware connection between the PC and MSP430
  • BSL not actually in the device (in case of have been previously erased)
  • Invoke sequence not working.

Can you show the wiring diagram of your serial communication to msp430?

---------- Post added at 10:32 ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 ----------

If you don't have the proper serial interface for BSL usage, consider using MAX3238 for interfacing the MSP430 with the serial signals

0xEE is the code for timeout.

Any one of these could be the cause of this:
  • Incorrect COM, or incorrect/no hardware connection between the PC and MSP430
  • BSL not actually in the device (in case of have been previously erased)
  • Invoke sequence not working.

Can you show the wiring diagram of your serial communication to msp430?

Dear sir,
wiring diagram means what?

i connected MSP430 to the PC using BSL programmer.
the BSL programmer CKT diagram is given in "MSP430 Programming Via the Bootstrap Loader User's Guide" chapter 4.1

This BSL programmer is connected to the port pins of MSP430 using FRC cable,

Fig shown below...

5.jpg

Thank you...

This BSL programmer is connected to the port pins of MSP430 using FRC cable

you can't connect tck if you have a test pin, so it says in 4.1.3 of **broken link removed**
Signal TCK must not be connected on devices with the TEST pin.

If you are using that circuit, make sure you are not inverting the DTR and the RTS signals on the PC Serial driver...

Serial settings:
9600 baud (half duplex)
1 Start bit,
8 databits, LSB first
even parity
1 stop bit

Last edited:
you can't connect tck if you have a test pin, so it says in 4.1.3 of **broken link removed**

If you are using that circuit, make sure you are not inverting the DTR and the RTS signals on the PC Serial driver...

Serial settings:
9600 baud (half duplex)
1 Start bit,
8 databits, LSB first
even parity
1 stop bit

Dear sir,

how to do these following Serial settings:?

Serial settings:
9600 baud (half duplex)
1 Start bit,
8 databits, LSB first
even parity
1 stop bit

Thank you...

---------- Post added at 10:44 ---------- Previous post was at 10:01 ----------

Dear Sir,

When i selected USB. it showing following error.

------------------------------------------
BSL Scripting application 1.06
The local time is: 10:39 on 30.04.2012
Initializing, Mode: 5438 USB: USB
Changing Baud Rate to 9600 DONE
Mass Erase: DONE
RX Password: DONE
Writing MSP430TB.txt to device: DONE
CRC from 5c00 of 4096 bytes to 982b NOT A MATCH (0000)

C:\BSL Scripter>

Thank you

When i selected USB. it showing following error.

The local time is: 10:39 on 30.04.2012
Initializing, Mode: 5438 USB: USB
Mass Erase: DONE
RX Password: DONE
Writing MSP430TB.txt to device: DONE
CRC from 5c00 of 4096 bytes to 982b NOT A MATCH (0000)

C:\BSL Scripter>

That is a successful write... CRC check is only a Monitor tool ... Performs a CRC check starting at the given Address over length number of bytes. This command will simply output the result of the CRC operation, or compare the result to a supplied value and report whether there is a match or not.. (in your case it will try to match it to the provided 0000)... anyway the CRC check is only for checking the data written, and it is only useful if you know what result to expect.. (like when you calculate on the .rom file).

If your port driver don't let you select the baud, you can try to change baudrate on the BSL_Scripter's script.txt

You could use something similar to

MODE 543x_family COM1
CHANGE_BAUD_RATE 9600
MASS_ERASE
RX_PASSWORD
RX_DATA_BLOCK Big_File.txt
CRC 5C00 1000 982B

That is a successful write... CRC check is only a Monitor tool ... Performs a CRC check starting at the given Address over length number of bytes. This command will simply output the result of the CRC operation, or compare the result to a supplied value and report whether there is a match or not.. (in your case it will try to match it to the provided 0000)... anyway the CRC check is only for checking the data written, and it is only useful if you know what result to expect.. (like when you calculate on the .rom file).

If your port driver don't let you select the baud, you can try to change baudrate on the BSL_Scripter's script.txt

You could use something similar to

MODE 543x_family COM1
CHANGE_BAUD_RATE 9600
MASS_ERASE
RX_PASSWORD
RX_DATA_BLOCK Big_File.txt
CRC 5C00 1000 982B

Dear Sir,

when i try to download the Application code to the MSP430F5438 using BSL programmer(BSL_Scripter.exe)

i am facing following Problem...

The local time is: 12:19 on 30.04.2012
Initializing, Mode: 5438 COM: COM1 DONE
Mass Erase: FAIL(ee)
RX Password: FAIL(ee)
Writing MSP430TB.txt to device: FAIL writing data block starting at 5c00
CRC from 5c00 of 4096 bytes to 982b FAIL....

please help me...

Thank you..

the problem might be in your DTR and RTS... this signals must be High for logic true, and low for logic false... can you check them?

the problem might be in your DTR and RTS... this signals must be High for logic true, and low for logic false... can you check them?

Dear sir, how to check DTR and RTS....i think My BSL programmer is not working...

thank you,

You can plug in your BSL programmer and set DTR and RTS high with the help of Realterm (under the tab port): https://sourceforge.net/projects/realterm/files/

then just check the signals with a multimeter in the test and reset pins of the mcu

I just hope it helps =)

Don't forget to double check the pin out..

Serial Port DB9 --> MCU PIN
2 --> P1.1
3 --> P2.2
4 --> RST
7 --> TEST

One other thing, I've seen Issues with the reference BSL Programmer from the TI datasheet... They have problems with power stability... Consider to try using other power supply then the one from the com port ...

Also, in future consider use a MAX3238 to make a BSL Programmer ... You will have 3 lines for PC - MCU (TX, DTR , RTS), and 1 of 4 lines for MCU-PC (RX)... You will only need to invert DTR and RTS signal on the Serial adapter driver

I just hope it helps =)

Don't forget to double check the pin out..

Serial Port DB9 --> MCU PIN
2 --> P1.1
3 --> P2.2
4 --> RST
7 --> TEST

One other thing, I've seen Issues with the reference BSL Programmer from the TI datasheet... They have problems with power stability... Consider to try using other power supply then the one from the com port ...

Also, in future consider use a MAX3238 to make a BSL Programmer ... You will have 3 lines for PC - MCU (TX, DTR , RTS), and 1 of 4 lines for MCU-PC (RX)... You will only need to invert DTR and RTS signal on the Serial adapter driver

K sir, thank you.

i will follow your suggestions.

Regards
Sunil

Have you managed to solve the problem?

If so, please say what was the problem and how did you solved it in order to others can find help in this thread..

Have you managed to solve the problem?

If so, please say what was the problem and how did you solved it in order to others can find help in this thread..

Dear sir,

Still problem is not solved.
i think problem with the BSL programmer.

Thank you.

try getting a MAX3238 and wire it to the msp430 .. maybe you can get a sample...

check:
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

You could also use a few rs3232 only for test.. you need 3 lines from the comp to the MCU and one line to the computer

try getting a MAX3238 and wire it to the msp430 .. maybe you can get a sample...

check:
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

You could also use a few rs3232 only for test.. you need 3 lines from the comp to the MCU and one line to the computer

K . sir thank you... i will follow Your suggestions.

Dear mgate,

I followed all your previous posts and my BSL related circuit and BSL utility works perfect.

I am using MSP430F2616 device.
The BSL utility works perfectly when code size is small, but it gives errors when code size is large.

It gives following message: (I had skipped initial part and posted only last portion)

Program starting at ff30, 142 bytes... Error: 0
Program starting at ffe2, 4 bytes... Error: 0
Program starting at ffee, 6 bytes... Error: 0
Program starting at fff8, 240 bytes... Error: 0
Program starting at 100e8, 240 bytes... Error: 6
ERROR: Verification failed!

Please guide me how to resolve this issue.

Regards
Bhushan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back