Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to open COM port on x86 machine faster than 115200

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gofs

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
This is my first post so I would like to say Hi! to everybody. I hope that I will be a worthy member of the Edaboard. ;)

My first question is does somebody has success with opening a COM port on a computer with faster speed than 115200? Does this speed depends from OS, hardware or language / libraries ? As far till this moment I was using C# on Visual Studio or SharpDevelop and I had no success. Any suggestion welcome.

This depends from motherboard generation and rs232 integration. 921600bps is max with special rs232 controllers. On newer motherboard often you can use 230.4 kbps, on older 115kbs. Speed of transfering data also depends from distance between devices or hosts.

Do you know any ready USB to RS232 converter which can make up to 8 Mbits and could be opened in Windows as a COM port?

Besides FTDI you may also look at MOXA ready to use cables **broken link removed** , BAFO http://www.bafo.com/products_bf-810_S.asp
but surely 8Mbps is probably not possible with both of them. What's the application? You may like to consider USB as a better option for these kind of data rates.

I was hoping that there is some kind of microcontroller or fpga based USB to UART converter with this speed. I am aware about other possibilities (USB, ETHERNET, SPI, RF) but I just was trying to find the simplest, fastest and cheapest one. Thanks anyway.

Do you have any simpler and / or less costly and / or fastest (in implementation) solution?

I think you should consider USB, for longer distance UTP, but if you tell us what you plan to make, and what distance is in mind, this will help us.

But today cost is under the question in every corner on this little planet. Some politicians in shadows pull handbrake on wallets of little humans on streets.

I agree... the USB seems to be the most in-expensive solution on the part of cost and development. Do you have the USB port on the device you want to communicate with or have you thought about using Parallel port?

Gofs do you plan to make some fast ADC or DAC over RS232 ? Or is just transfer of some data in game?

This will be used only in the prototype for debugging and collecting data. In this device there is very noisy slip-ring connector and I have only 2 pins for it. The debugging application is already written in C# and uses COM port. RS485 was a good solution for that. I have found level translators with up to 10 Mbits speed. I was thinking that there are somewhere there some USB to RS232 translators ready to plug with windows drivers. The easiest way was buying them, connecting to ready RS232 to RS485 transceivers and then to USB-COM-PORT in the computer.

Ofcourse the processor can throw out data through the UART with this speed. I don't have any experience in USB for embedded applications or in Windows so writing code for USB will take much more time for me. So for me the simplest solution is collecting data onto SD CARD and debug communication through RS232 as usual.

See this link, Up to 921.6 kbps :

**broken link removed**

See model RS-232/422/485 4-ports :
QSU2-400 $399.00

and ESU2-400 have 8 ports. $479.00

What to say realy cheap. :???:

---------- Post added at 15:36 ---------- Previous post was at 15:29 ----------

Also see this :

http://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Documents/DataSheets/Modules/DS_USB-COM232-PLUS1.pdf

---------- Post added at 15:45 ---------- Previous post was at 15:36 ----------

This can go up to 3MB/s
http://www.sednacomputer.com/products/se-usb-ser.html

---------- Post added at 15:47 ---------- Previous post was at 15:45 ----------

I think something can be made but thise companies whants some green units.

Reactions: Gofs

Gofs

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
3Mbits is not 8 but still better than 115200. That should resolve the problem after some compression. Thanks!

Also consider QSU2-400 and ESU2-400 as variant, you can put that on company account. ;-) If this is important for some processes in company.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back