Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

reduction of insertion loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chandana89

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi how to reduce insertion loss in a power divider??
tuning the resistance value did not help

Tell us what kind of power divider you use (resistive, Wilkinson, coupler, transformer, etc) and might get an answer.
Missmatch at the ports is the main cause of higher insertion loss in most of the power dividers.

hi how to reduce insertion loss in a power divider??

Reduce conductor loss and/or dielectric loss in the substrate.
For example, FR4 is really bad for GHz power dividers because of high dielectric loss.

tuning the resistance value did not help

The resistor in a wilkinson divider does not change insertion loss. It changes the isolation between the output ports.

Depending on the typology and the number of splits (N).
The resistive type tends to suffer a higher insertion loss (S21 = -20 log N instead of -10log N).

vr designing Wilkinson power divider
am getting proper insertion and isolation loss for the basic ckt(i.e when i have used transmission lines)..
but for the main ckt i.e when using microstrip lines am getting more power loss for 4way,12way divider.
so can u tel me how it can b reduced.

When using transmission lines, those are ideal elements, thus you will definitely have a lower insertion loss. When using microstrip line model, they contain parasitic effect, which has more loss but provides a more accurate simulation result. Increasing the number of dividers (N-way), also leads to more interconnects and they also contribute to higher insertion loss.

One way you could do is look at the return loss of all the ports. Ideally, if they are 50 ohm match, their S11 or S22 or S33, etc, should be less than -15 ~ -20 dB. If the S11 or S22 or S22, etc are very high, say more than -10 dB, this means your divider is not well-matched. You might want to adjust the circuit accordingly. You can try tuning the line width, which usually affects impedance, and tuning the length, usually affects the frequency response. But if your divider is well-matched and still you are getting a poor insertion loss, you might want to consider changing the material or substrate.

@john
v hav already changed the substrate., material., length but not width..
wil try tunning the width and get back to u

---------- Post added at 11:47 ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 ----------

hi v tried reducing the width also.., but it did not make much difference:(
changed the substrate also but no use..
for 4 way microstrip divider am getting 8db insertion loss where in i hav to get 6db:(

Instead of randomly trying to change all possible dimensions, try to understand the physics of insertion loss.

What substrate and metal proprties have you used in simulation?

Hi
i have a problem with return loss in microstrip patch antenna
I want to grt it under-10 db
what parameters can be changed
kartik

material is alumina with dielectric constant of 9.8
conductor is copper

hi whts the formula to calculate ISOLATION LOSS in power divider??

edeyhbjyjukkkkkkkkki,lki.lo.j

Attachments

• RETURN LOSSart.pdf
    51.6 KB · Views: 74
  • power divider applications.pdf
    265.2 KB · Views: 172
  • why-people-fail.pdf
    502.5 KB · Views: 87
  • 12595841_compact_planar.pdf
    189.5 KB · Views: 78
  • application_notes_power_dividers.pdf
    93.1 KB · Views: 73