Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Amplifier gain dependence of Common mode value

Status
Not open for further replies.

andhov

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi Guys,

I have simulated a sample diff amp/op amp and found a difference of DC gain for various CM(common mode) voltage.
All transistor work in saturation region. If the variation is small(like a ±5dB) I will not concern and will think that is something technology dependence but it varies in ±15dB range.
Has someone experienced this kind of dependence????

Thanks.

You must be operating near the supply rails.
Otherwise, Assuming you are using gain-controlled by negative feedback ratio, It should not do that.
But if you are using open loop, then yes it is possible Hfe varies by that much.

You must be operating near the supply rails.
Otherwise, Assuming you are using gain-controlled by negative feedback ratio, It should not do that.
But if you are using open loop, then yes it is possible Hfe varies by that much.

I want to understand the reason of variation. Why it is possible???

You didn't give any details yet. Are you talking about open loop gain? What's the absolute gain? How much is the variation?

Generally speaking, some open loop gain variation can be expected near the common mode range limits. If it's severe, you're either exceeding reasonable common mode range or the amplifier isn't well designed. In any case, you should show a circuit.

P.S.: +/-15 dB is severe.

i like to say "The best answer can only be given with the best described question"

perhaps avoid false assumptions for the reader and give more details. Did you balance input source resistance? How do you know "All transistor work in saturation region."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back