Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

op-amp negative supply and null voltage setting

Status
Not open for further replies.

saur

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
can instead of negative supply voltage ground can be used for op07cp?
and my op07cp ic is giving 4.25v output even though the input i give is zero...what can be the probable reason...and can nulling circuit be used to get 0v output at 0 input...

The datasheet can answer your question. The device is designed for dual supply, neither input nor output voltage range extends down to negative supply. You need to provide a dula supply or use a true single supply OP.

one thing thats happening is that......my op-amp is giving a 1.07v output....even though the input is zero....what can be the possible reason?

i am giving 5v supply to Vcc and ground at -Vcc....and a 10k variable resistor across the null offset pins...the input is from a buffer connected to an ultrasonic transceiver....
but even if i connect or dont connect the transceiver....the op-amp output is 1.5V....
I'm using the op-amp as a simple non-inverting amplifier of gain 45 i.e. R2=2.2k ohm and R1=50 ohm...

Saur, as FvM has said, your op-amp cannot go to either rail. The output cannot reach down to 0V if the negative supply is GND. You either need to supply the op-amp properly with + and - voltages, or use an op-amp designed for single supply operation.

The offset null will not help you. It is to account for the input offset voltage; it certainly cannot change the output swing. If you check the datasheet, you will see that the maximum range for the offset null is about 4mV anyway, so how do you expect it to account for 1.5V?

To try to help you understand why the op-amp cannot swing all the way to the negative rail, take a look at the schematic on page 2 of this datasheet:

https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/op07c.pdf

You will see that the output (pin 6) is connected to the supply rails through a number of transistors. Each transistor has a VBE drop, moving the maximum output swing away from the relevant supply voltage. This applies to both power rails, so by running the op-amp at +5V/0V, you are limiting the output to a few volts in the middle of that 5V range.

Last edited:
Reactions: saur

saur

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
So FoxyRick sir...
If i use a -5V at the -Vcc pin...then the output will be 0V....for zero input....
I think thats what you are trying to say....
So i think then the 7905 IC would do the job.....
Am i right....

That is correct. A +/-5V supply will allow the output to go to zero volts, as you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.