Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

flyback vs push-pull vs forward converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

uoficowboy

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi - can somebody tell me what advantages/disadvantages flybacks, push-pull, and forward converter DC/DCs have with respect to each other?

Here's my attempt:

Flyback:
+lowest part count (1 primary switch, 1 diode)
-inductor is typically larger, I think (since you're storing energy)
-Susceptible to ringing on primary

Push-pull:
-Highest part count (4 switches, 4 diodes)
-Most losses in signal path (current in primary flows through two switches, current in secondary flows through two diodes)
+transformer is smaller than flyback, I think
+least ringing on primary (this is a educated guess!)
-Output voltage is dependent on your transformer turns ratio

Forward converter
~less parts than push pull, more than flyback (1 switch, 2 diodes)
~transformer is a bit larger than push pull (I think)
-More ringing on primary than push pull, not sure about flyback
-Output voltage is dependent on your transformer turns ratio

How am I doing so far?

I should mention my eventual interest is in making a high Vout/Vin ratio DC/DC. Something like 5V to 1KV. But I'm also interested in comparing these topologies in the general sense.

Thanks!!

Dear uoficowboy
Hi
I think you're a bit confused . push pull , just has two switch , not 4 switch , i think you're referring to the H bridge ( it has 4 switch) .
And about fly back , usually , we don't have an inductor in it's out put ! just a capacitor ! however you can see an inductor at some of designs ( to be in continuous mode ) .
And about disadvantages of fly back : 1- large value of ripple ( to increase the ripple we have to use larger capacitors ( naturally larger capacitors have larger ESR , so we have to use some capacitors in parallel ) .
2- bad spikes at out put .
3- limited power up to 400 w at best designs !

and about forward , it has two mode ! first one is single ended and the other is double ended . both of them have advantages and disadvantages . limited power but it is more than fly back . better load regulation . better safety . lower spikes and ... etc
And about push pull : we can consider that it is two forward converter . it has advantages of forward ( and it hasn't disadvantages of fly back ) and it's out put power can be very higher than a forward converter .
So i hope i understood what you want to know . if you need more informations , tell me , i'll explain all of them in detail .
Best Wishes
Goldsmith

I am not sure why would you want to compare these. For your application I would suggest you should go for flyback, assuming you need to deliver little power at 1KW.

Status
Not open for further replies.