Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ethernet PHY - SGMII Auto-negotiation

Status
Not open for further replies.

maestor

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
sgmii phy

Hi guys,

Not sure if this the right group for posting this...but there it goes.

I've got a board with GbE SFP transceivers from @g!lent (I've tried F!nisar ones as well). Part number H=B=C=R-5=7=1=0=R(remove the '='). It's a GbE PHY (it uses the M@rvell 8E1111 as most of them). On the serial end I've got an SGMII MAC.

I connect the SFP with a CAT-5 cable to a GbE card on my PC and lights come on...link/full duplex...I read the SFP PHY registers using the I2C interface and all makes sense (Autonegotiation-AN finished, 1000BASE-T detected...), happy camper.

Then I try the 10/100 BASE-T then. I connect the SFP to a 10/100 hub (it's got Autonegotiation capability, checked that) and no lights come on. I read the status registers and reports error during AN. I have tried with and without SGMII enabled and the same. Disabling the back-end MAC and enabling it and nothing... :?

Has anybody worked with the 8E1111 PHY in 10/100 before?

Any help much appreciated, I'm stuck.

Regards,

-maestor

sgmii auto negotiation

From what you say I believe that you have problem on the SFP RJ45 module. Firstly please check whether the PHY is in AUTONEG. If it is so, please force the PHY into 100M and full duplex, and then see whether it could link. If all fail, I wish you could upload you sch in order that all the expert could help you.

Best Regards

8e1111

Hi au_michael,

Finally an answer, thanks a lot.

About the schematics, I think they are all right, no issues there. It works for Gigabit SGMII so I was expecting it to work @ 10/100 because, just because it's SGMII.

I didn't mention it before but the back end is an MGT in a 2vp50 with a MAC (HDL I wrote :) ) it works just fine @ 1Gbps

About the autonegotiation...

1) the PHY is definitely in AUTONEG
2) I have tried to force 100 full duplex and not even like that.

I am working on the back end FIfos of the MAC @ 1Gbps so not too bothered about 10/100 but I'd like to get it working. I might have to contact the technical guys for @g!lent.

Have you worked with these PHYs before?

-maestor

sfp phy

I do use 88E1111 in my some switch. But I did not use the SGMII mode and SFP RJ45. I am sorry to answer your question right now. However, your problem is very strange and interesting. So I will try to find the reseaon how could the serial data be transformed to parallel data.

sgmii sfp

Thanks again,

The problem with the SFPs is that the embedded 88E1111 is not fully functional. It just been hard configured to work in SGMII mode for 10/100 such that repeats the data in the serial link 10 or 100 times depending of the link speed.

When I find the way around this I'll let u know...no rush though. It's not critical in our app.

-maestor

sgmii autonegotiation

I'm working with Agilent's SFP and is true, you need a SGMII compatible MAC to work in 10/100 Modes becuase SFP repeat each byte 100/10 times to obtain 1Gbit data flow. The MAC must understand that.

King regards!

sfp sgmii

Do you use the same cable for both connections?
To connect directly to a PC you need a crossed cable (like null modem). To connect to a hub you should use a direct cable. Have you checked it?

sgmii autoneg

We have a similar problem with an optical 100FX SFP from Cisco: GLC-GE-100FX=.
It also contains an internal PHY, but in this case it is a Broadcom BCM5461S.
The problem is that it is not possible for us to get a detailed data sheet on neither the SPF nor the PHY.
Does anyone know how to get such SFP modules to work, we can't even get it to emit light!

Best regards

sgmii

hai,
u can do one morething.
just disable auto-negatiation & just force 100Mbps and Full duplex.
sometimes PHY to PHY interface creates this problem.

Thanks & Regards

sgmii mode

Dear guys
Does any one have 88e1111 data sheet?
I mean some thing more than the available one (2 pages document)
Thanks in advance

Re: sgmii sfp

It just been hard configured to work in SGMII mode for 10/100 such that repeats the data in the serial link 10 or 100 times depending of the link speed.

How do you configure SFP to work in SGMII? Via I2C? Can anyone help me to find register map for D+G+S-7+1+2 (remove +) SFP module? I can't work with it on 10/100. Only 1000. Sorry for offtopic.

Re: sgmii sfp

Problem is solved. This modules in fact is a Finisar FCLF-8521-3 modules, and configuration of this module is in FAQ AN-2036
This module based on 88e1111 and suppot 100Base-Tx with autonegotiation (my module support).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back