Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can lm358 0pamp amplifies 0-0.1 v to 0 to 5 volt?how?+what is - VCC ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikhiljoshi

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear Sir,

The project is to establish the current sensor which measures current up to 0-5 amp(DC). I have used 0.1 ohm(5 watt) value resistor for sampling the current and I got 0 to 0.5 volt according to 0-5amp.but the problem is that our ADC inputs are not compatible for that much of lower input voltage.it needs the range from 0-5 volt.so its necessary that amplify the 0-0.5 volt to 0-5 volt which we directly fed to ADC analog channel and give the perfect output with respect to 0-5amp.so I need to be design the voltage amplifier circuit using an OP-EMP with appropriate gain.
1) Is it possible with LM358 ?
2) how can we give the negative Vcc to OP-AMP ?
3) Can we GROUND the -Vcc terminal instead of it?
4) sir what is the time-limit up to that i can continuously measure the current of 5 amp with 0.1 ohm(5 watt) value resistor?

Can we GROUND the -Vcc terminal instead of it?
Does this refer to LM358?
LM358 can work fine with a single supply , actually the pinout has a V+ and gnd so you can just connect the positive and ground to supply th opamp.

The power consumption on a resistor can be found from P=V*I => P=I² *R
In your case , 5² * 0.1 = 25 * 0.1 = 2.5W so you have no problem at all with the resistor.

To amplify the voltage you get from the shunt resistor you can use a differential amplifier

DiffAmp.jpg

Connect V1 to the ground side of the shunt resistor and v2 to the positive side , Vr can be connected to ground.
Select the resistors to get the gain you need, for example with R1=1K and Rf=5K the gain is 5x

Alex

Thank u for reply sir..

---------- Post added at 03:40 ---------- Previous post was at 03:08 ----------

the resistor ratting are good still it is highly heated in within 5 minutes....

so what is the time-limit up to that i can continuously measure the current of 5 amp with 0.1 ohm(5 watt) value resistor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back