Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to load the drivers for mouse & keyboard from MS-DOS ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

danishdeshmuk

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points

the system has MS-DOS and a bootable software that always boots up automatically in MS-DOS whenever the PC is turned on ...

the software is of a machine

thanks

Generally, if you have a mouse.com file, then that is put into the autoexec.bat. If you have a mouse.sys then that is put into the config.sys. You don't usually need a keyboard driver unless you have a non-standard keyboard; if you do, the procedure will be similar to that for the mouse.

For instance:

In autoexec.bat, you simply need the line:

Code:
c:\mouse.com

or perhaps, to load the driver into high memory:

Code:
LH c:\mouse.com

For config.sys, add the line:

Code:
device=mouse.sys

how can i check that i have mouse.com file ?
How to put in autoexec.bat ?

You need to edit autoexec.bat

you can use dos editor.. On msdos command line write:

Code:
c:
cd\
edit autoexec.bat

check this page:

autoexec.bat explanation1
**broken link removed**

you need to find your keyboard layout codepage

example1:
Code:
@ECHO OFF
LH /L:2 C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX /D:MSCD000 /M:15 /E /S /L:D /V
LH /L:0;2 /S C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\SMARTDRV 2048 16 /V
C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MODE CON RATE=32 DELAY=2
[B]C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MODE CON CP PREP=((865) C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\EGA.CPI)
C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MODE CON CP SEL=865
LH /L:2 C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\KEYB DK,865,C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\KEYBOARD.SYS
LH /L:2 C:\MOUSE\MOUSE[/B]
LH /L:2 C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\DOSKEY /INSERT
PROMPT $p$g
PATH C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND;C:\CTSND
SET DIRCMD=/P /A
SET TEMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
SET TMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
SET SOUND=C:\CTSND
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 T6
SET MIDI=SYNTH:1 MAP:G
C:\CTSND\DIAGNOSE /S
C:\CTSND\SB16SET /P

example2
Code:
@echo off
LH C:\DOS\SMARTDRV.EXE
PROMPT $p$g
PATH C:\DOS;C:\NET
SET TEMP=C:\TEMP
[B]MODE CON CODEPAGE PREPARE=((437) C:\DOS\EGA.CPI)
MODE CON CODEPAGE SELECT=437
C:\MOUSE\MOUSE.EXE
LH KEYB UK,,C:\DOS\KEYBOARD.SYS
[/B]

you also need to edit config.sys

Just put that above mentioned text in the autoexec.bat ?

---------- Post added at 22:55 ---------- Previous post was at 22:49 ----------

the code in example 1 & example 2 be pasted in autoexec.bat ? and exit autoexec.bat then ?

Are these 2 codes for mouse or for mouse & keyboard both ?

No... This are examples of the autoexec.bat part of keyboard codepage definition and mouse driver loading... you will also need to edit config.sys

If you need more help please specify keybourd country and layout... and MS-DOS version

And at the DOS prompt, try typing 'help', all the information on autoexec.bat and config.sys is available in the help files. Both are simply text files, Config.sys is loaded first and contains instructions to load resident device drivers and configure them, then 'autoexec.bat' is processed line by line exactly as though the lines had been typed at the keyboard.

To see if you have a mouse.com file, just type 'dir'. It will list all the files in the current directory as long as their hidden attribute isn't turned on.

Brian.

nothing helped me out in this regard

(in your first post you wrote:)

the system has MS-DOS and a bootable software that always boots up automatically in MS-DOS whenever the PC is turned on ...

the software is of a machine

are you trying to load a new mouse driver in ms-dos ?
what is its interface?(usb/serial?)

can you elaborate:

....the software is of a machine...?

yeah in ms dos ........ serial interface

yeah the software of a machine ..... its the software of a printing machine's A.R.C to control the registrations of the color ......... Kesai is the manufacturer of that software interface

yeah in ms dos ........ serial interface

yeah the software of a machine ..... its the software of a printing machine's A.R.C to control the registrations of the color ......... Kesai is the manufacturer of that software interface

as indicated in previous posts by other mebmers , check whether you have mouse driver already installed.
(it is in config.sys) file.
if already installed , then you might have connected mouse to com2 instead of com1 , i guess.

You didn't mention at all, which function you are exactly missing. You initially asked for mouse and keyboard driver, but I guess the keyboard is working?

the keyboard is not working at the software interface or for the software interface ...... but it does work when i exit the application (software) then a black screen comes up (i.e. DOS) and here you can use your keyboard & the keyboard works fine at DOS environment ............

This suggests, that your software uses a special keyboard driver or is expecting a particular hardware. I didn't came across this problem for keyboards, but I remember that early DOS applications have been interfacing the mouse directly though COM ports, relying on specific mouse products and a setup in the software.

In other words, the initial question "how to load drivers..." is probably missing the problem. Finding out the exact hard- and software requirements of your software is the necessary first step.

so how to do that ? i mean how to fined exact hardware & software requirements for the software ?

Status
Not open for further replies.