Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

6 batteries in parallel and series

Status
Not open for further replies.

EmuFarmer

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a golf cart that is powered by 6 6V batteries in series. Can I safely power some 12V equipment by placing 3 pairs of batteries in parallel while still leaving the batteries in their original configuration?

Thanks

If you need 12v output you need to connect 3 6v batteries in parallel and make them series to another set of 3 6v batteries connected in parallel.

If you want in same time to keep the original golf cart configuration (series of 6 x 6V batteries) you can’t connect any batteries in parallel. But, you may use a separate connection from two series batteries in order to obtain the 12V for power up additional equipment. See details here:

Attachments

• Car circuit.png
    Car circuit.png
    17.6 KB · Views: 82

If you want in same time to keep the original golf cart configuration (series of 6 x 6V batteries) you can’t connect any batteries in parallel. But, you may use a separate connection from two series batteries in order to obtain the 12V for power up additional equipment. See details here:

Thanks!

This is sort of what I was asking if it was okay to do. But can I take the other 4 batteries, put them in 2 sets of 2xbatteries in series and put them in parallel with the first set of 2 batteries (3 sets of 2 batteries in series, all in parallel)? My thinking is that this will drain the batteries evenly.

In post#1
3 pairs of batteries in parallel is the right way.
If all batteries are similar and charged with same capacity,
charge and dicharge current is equally divided between the batteries.

you have 6 6V batteries in serial. it means 6*6 = 36V output voltage. i would like to ask what is the capacity of your battery package ? by the way you should build any construction method to consider the capacity ...

for example. your one battery is 3V 10Ah, it means you can take the 10A in an hour in terms of 3V. if your all batteries have the same capacity (10Ah) (3*12 serial)) 36*10 = 360Ah. this 360Ah is your total capacity. you can use 6V 10Ah battery on behalf of 3V 10Ah (6V * 6) *10 = 360 Ah again (serial). there is also one problem. you should charge each of them relatively at the same value ...

you should wisely watch this video by infineon to understand what i meant above (22-23-24-25-26 number of videos)

https://www.infineon.com/cms/media/...LS/IG087-eMobilityBatteryManagement/index.htm

I have a golf cart that is powered by 6 6V batteries in series. Can I safely power some 12V equipment by placing 3 pairs of batteries in parallel while still leaving the batteries in their original configuration?

Thanks

If You have 6 x 6V that is 36V.
Three pairs in parallel (one pair 2x6V=12V)x3

Yes You can get this, but existing configuration of 6 batteries must be changed. Links between batteries must be changed. Original configuration must be changed.

Paralleling batteries not good. You should parallel battery only if they are similar with characteristics, internal resistance, age, health, capacity, .....

Just build a pwr supply 36v to 12v so u will get longer 36v and 12v use time.
better use a cheap boost-buck reg, i did one myself with a 3055 transistor a choke form burned out computer supply and 4011 oscillator.

Just build a pwr supply 36v to 12v so u will get longer 36v and 12v use time.
better use a cheap boost-buck reg, i did one myself with a 3055 transistor a choke form burned out computer supply and 4011 oscillator.

This sounds a bit complicated for me. I have never heard of boost-buck before. Is it worth it to build one of these over the previous discussed method?

Yes it will take all batts. working together discharging same rate and no need to dismantle any thing.
u can first build a simple regulator or buy but first what current u need from 12 v ?
google simple 12v regulator https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm2576.pdf

What power you plan to use from 12V, what current you need at 12V?

It will be used to power some astronomy equipment. I will need about 2A.

Yes it will take all batts. working together discharging same rate and no need to dismantle any thing.
u can first build a simple regulator or buy but first what current u need from 12 v ?
google simple 12v regulator https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm2576.pdf

Thanks, I will look into that.

Then You can keep Your original configuration of batteries at 36V and use what dselec mention or MC34063 or similar.

You can see this thread its useful for You :
https://www.edaboard.com/threads/154414/

You can see calculator for MC34063 at this address :
**broken link removed**

36V to 12V 3A :
MC34063 Step Up_Down_Inverting Switching Regulator - Calculation results_1334158405247.jpeg

You can use this with LM2576T-12. Output is 12V.

power-supply-switching-regulator-12v-3a-by-lm2576-12.thumbnail.jpg

5A LM2678-12
lm2678-12_0_switchg_reg_12v.gif

Attachments

• lm2576.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Reactions: dselec

dselec

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
5A LM2678-12 just great thanks Tpetar

Or can be used LM2678T-ADJ also 5A but voltage is adjustable, say 13,8V for battery charger, or any other voltage. Price per piece about 5eur. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.