Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Modelsim : Can't locate a C compiler for compilation of DPI export tasks/functions

Status
Not open for further replies.

varthurravi

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I am trying to simulate a basic OVM/UVM example on Modelsim 10.0c (Windows) and I get the below error:

Fatal: (vsim-7019) Can't locate a C compiler for compilation of DPI export tasks/functions.

Can anyone help me resolve this. I tried searching a solution for this on the net, but couldn't find any solution, except for a couple of posts that only list this error, but no resolution.

Thanks
Ravi

Running the UVM requires a gcc compiler because it uses the DPI for string manipulation and command line processing. You can get a gcc release from the same place the Modelsim was downloaded, or goto https://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/files/MinGW/Base/gcc/Version4/

Also, any substantial OVM/UVM example requires Questa for constrained random generation and functional coverage.

Thanks for the quick reply, Dave.
I will try installing the GCC version you have pointed out.
Actually, I already have a GCC version installed (gcc-4.2.1-mingw32) in my $MTI_HOME folder.
The path to all the .exe files is as below:
<Modelsim10c>/gcc-4.2.1-mingw32/bin
Not sure why my OVM examples doesn't pickup the .exe from here.

By the way, I just tried an UVM example and that works without this issue. I am only seeing this issue with OVM examples.

The version of gcc that you have should be fine, you would be getting different error messages if the version was not correct. This doesn't make sense to me because the UVM base class library does require DPI to run and OVM doesn't, unless your OVM example has DPI in it.

Do the DPI examples that come with Modelsim work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back