Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help Regarding Image processing in VHDL or any other HDL Language.

Status
Not open for further replies.

amisin

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am doing a project on Image Encryption in MATLAB, now further I have to generate hardware for that matlab file(*.m) by using VHDL or any other HDL. I want help regarding how to work with images (taking input, operations on pixels, and output), in VHDL. If anyone can provide info regarding converting the *.m code directly into VHDL, please post here. I tried that but I am not having the HDL Code Generator which is required to convert the same.
Thanks in advance. :-|

I don't think there is such as such a tool. If you code your .m file in certain way, you can convert it to netlist using System Generator or DSP Builder. If you use AccelDSP, it allows you to use more matlab functions which can be synthesized. But, I haven't heard that there is a Matlab to VHDL converter. If there is, please post it here.
If you are not familiar with VHDL or FPGA structure in general, the best way to port your design from Matlab to FPGA would be using System Generator or DSP Builder. These GUI based tools are easy to use and their outputs are highly optimized.

gongdori is correct... System generator or DSP builder wud be d sln.. and do share us if u fina a tool...

Thanks gongdori and graphene for your replies.
Actually there is a toolbox, called Simulink HDL Coder in Matlab r2012b, I was working with that, in that we can directly convert the simulink(*.mdl) model into *.vhd file(which provides facility for generating test bench also). There is one more toolbox called HDL Coder. But they are in simulink.
Now if you want to convert your matlab(*.m) file to *.vhd file, you proceed as given below:
Go to File -> New -> Code Generation Project.
There you will find a window, asking for Name, Location and Type of project.
In the type drop-down box, you have two options:
1. MEX, C, and C++ Code Generation.
2. HDL Code Generation.
When you opt for the second option, it asks you for a MATLAB file (like as in the case of deployment tool).
But the problem I am encountering is that, in spite of having MATLAB r2012b, my MATLAB does not show the option for HDL Code Generation. :-(
If anyone can tell me where exactly I am lagging, like if I need to change the MATLAB version, or something like that.

Gongdori: Can you please tell more about AccelDSP, whether I'll be able to play with my matlab file there, and get required HDL Code?
Thanks in advance. :)

I've heard that it would be discontinued... When I checked their website, it says it has been discontinued.

Out of curiosity, why do you want to generate VHDL code when you already have netlist?

Gongdori: Actually I am not having the netlist, I am having only the MATLAB (*.m) file code, and I want to generate hardware for that in VHDL. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back