Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to connect a microcontroller to PC without serial port

Status
Not open for further replies.

fuzedmass

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,
My task is pretty much simple. I want to connect a micro-controller (PIC 18 or dspic33f) to a PC and show some different kind of results, now there are 2 problems, i.e:

1 Nowadays PC's don't have a serial port, so what should should I do to connect a micro-controller with a PC and show the output, I know there are FTDI ic't that make USB to SERIAL, but I don't want to use it... what can be the easy and cost effective soltuion ... ??? (you can give me any other idea, through which I can show my data to PC)

2 HyperTerminal program was present in Windows XP, but not in 7 and Vista, how to solve this problem too ?

Thanks

Use a USB to serial converter
Download another serial terminal program (Google it)

Hi,

I really think that the FTDI is the perfect solution, ... anyway, although is tricky, you could use the sound card as an input interface, but you wouldn't be able to have bidirectional stream unless you use the input jack and the output jack...

---------- Post added at 07:01 ---------- Previous post was at 06:59 ----------

Use a USB to serial converter
Download another serial terminal program (Google it)

I think that is still an FTDI

Use a serial to USB adapter like

usb-232.jpg

The cable is cheaper than buying a FTDI chip!

why don't you implement your own USB device with a PIC18F4550 ? it could be a CDC device or HID device(no ext.drive yay!) or custom device.. there is even a CDC example in the microchip framework.

anyway, if you are going the USB-serial solution (with external , FTDI or internal CDC) and miss the hyperterminal, you could re-enable, install it (the private version), or use another serial terminal.. y like the "realterm" software as it's free and very flexible.... http://realterm.sourceforge.net/

hello

You can use Ethernet link trought a Serial /Ethernet interface like XPORT Lantronix or other trade mark... ethernet cable to the PC
You can use Bluetooth UART/bluetooth interface ..wireless ... Bluetooth dongle on PC
and use virtual serial link on Terminal Vbray on PC
https://sites.google.com/site/terminalbpp/

fuzedmass said:
I know there are FTDI ic't that make USB to SERIAL, but I don't want to use it
You will use it wether you want it or not! :)
Now seriously, you do not have much of a choice. All solutions provided except post's #7 involve a USB to serial convertion. I would vote for alexan_e, that is a serial to usb cable. Cheap, easy to use, no development, just installation of the drivers and off you go!

As for hyperterminal, you could get some helpful information by the following reference.

https://www.edaboard.com/threads/228501/

You can connect uC with PC over LAN connection, even over Internet, using ENC28J60 or similar.

See example

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back