Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Laboratory-Workshop power supply – 3 blocks of voltages

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vermes

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points

Assumptions:
  • the device was to replace all the outlet power supplies
  • it was to be equipped with built-in readable measurement module, and meet the requirements on the collection of both characteristics and measurements of parameters in a simple measuring systems
  • the possibility of voltage and current limitation adjustment
  • the possibility of setting independent voltages so that you always can connect a lot of different devices which need different voltages
  • easy to use, reliable, resistant to overload, durable and cheap in construction/possible repair

Realized functions and parameters of the device:
  • 3 supply blocks with independent switching additional blocks
  • main block adjustable 0-30V 4A with a protection and current limitation
  • accurate voltage and current regulation by using 10 rotating potentiometers
  • additional blocks 12V 3A and 5V 3A
  • measurement system for the main block that allows the voltage and current measurement in the main block system
  • block of removable/reversible outputs with indication of status and connecting plus to the banana connector
  • additional blocks cooling is done passively through the heat sink located at the rear of the device
  • main block cooling is based on the system of heat sink and fan
    Automatic control of the main block heat sink temperature uses temperature sensor DS18B20 in the heat sink of the main block. You can set the switch on temperature of hysteresis. This feature is realized by measurement module)
  • 40mm fan that forces air circuit in the housing
  • clear division
  • aluminum housing
  • fully detachable front panel (on few signal/supply connectors) for easy repair or modernization

Elements to be improved/refined:
  • adding a fan temperature control system which forces the air circulation
  • installation of protective nets on the air outlets

Used systems/modules:
  • power supply unit: a typical and well known design with increased filtering capacity (9400uF) and increased power of resistors at the output
  • power supply of unchanged voltage: modules put in the attachment on the original thread
  • measuring module: Kit AVT2857 in the configuration of the voltmeter with ammeter and thermostat

Design solutions:
  • due to the assumptions, transformers - power supply unit and 12V based on toroidal transformers were used in this project. In 5V power supply transformer of type TI was used.
  • measuring block was powered from a converter from a power plug. This solution was dictated by the imposed independence of work of individual modules, in case of short circuit at the additional plug-ins, there is no problem with the work of the measuring module.
  • distribution in the housing is intentional. It can be divided into three parts:
    1. high voltage AC power supply (right side)
    2. control, monitoring, parameters reading system (front)
    3. stabilization, measurements, control and treatment of current and voltage (left)

The system of outputs control was used to make the work with this power supply easy, safe for supplied systems and fast in use.

The device is equipped with a main 230V voltage switch (it switches on the power supply unit, measuring/control apparatus and voltage for two additional, which allow to disconnect them independently from the main block).

As you can see in the following picture, each output block has:
  1. switch of on/output polarization
  2. diode symbolizing NORMAL (green)/REVERSE (red) work
  3. diodes indicating where is plus – simply near the setting the operation mode of diodes, and lights near the socket where is the positive potential
  4. banana sockets, where left socket is the mass by default

The mechanical design:
The housing was made of a factory chassis commonly used in all laboratory-measurement industry devices created in the years 70-80-90. The characteristic features are its modularity, the ability to set up multiple devices thanks to the unification of series sizes and special feet-holders. There are several widths and heights in those types of housings. The front wall has two layers, so the decorative (external) panel covers the nuts and bolts on the mounting panel.
Any holes in a shape different than round were finished with files after being pre-treated using a drill (point by point).
The external heat sink was connected with the rear wall of the device, while bridges and stabilizers from additional power supplies were screwed through the housing and heat sink by 3mm dia screws. Most elements were attached to the „floor” by the threaded rod and screws of the same diameter. Isolation of the housing was realized by means of pads cut of a rigid dielectric or insulation tape stuck on the point of contact between the nut and PCB.
All the wiring harness were reduced to minimum. Connection to the network is via a standard computer interface. Weight of the power supply is substantial (approximately 5kg), due to heavy transformers.

Description layer of the front panel was made using thermal transfer method. The gap for the display was supplemented with transparent plexiglass.

Pictures:

Link to original thread (useful attachment) – Zasilacz Laboratoryjno-Warsztatowy Kombajn 3 bloki napięć

Hi!

I'm interested in this project & I've got plenty of points, but I'm registered on the other Polish Board with a Virgin Media email I can't use any more! Can you copy the 9.24 MB attachment onto this board please?

Chris Williams

Hi!

I'm interested in this project & I've got plenty of points, but I'm registered on the other Polish Board with a Virgin Media email I can't use any more! Can you copy the 9.24 MB attachment onto this board please?

Chris Williams

Hi if the author doesn't reply i can send you the attachments threw email, if you want ?
Here you go .zip with all the files, but the folders are named in Polish :( if i have time i will translate ;)

Always happy to help.
View attachment zasilacz.zip

Hi!

The "helped me" button wasn't on your post, so please allow me to express my thanks for this Sir!

Chris Williams

No problem,:-D always happy to help.

Hi!

Chris Williams

I'd personally would not build this project, The meter side of things will be ok but the actual PSU part is based on an old design that had many errors with in it, everything could overheat using old parts like the TL082 is max 36V but the volatge feed into them is above this plus many other errors if you would like to build it use everything else apart from the PSU part you can read all about the updates that where made here has it is discussed in depth from here
https://www.electronics-lab.com/forum/index.php?topic=19066.0
and here
**broken link removed**

Just my two cents worth it does look well built and a nice PSU

One question do you want to build a psu for your own experience ? Or do you need one to start with electronics ?
If you need one to start with electronics i recommend buying a cheap one for about £30 and doing some modifications to it (It's a cheap Chinese PXN-1503D)
Also i have another thread on the Polish forum where a guy built a good PSU. <--- (well I think it's good but i am a beginner so I'm not sure)

Here is the link, note the google translation isn't very good, sorry about that :(
https://translate.google.co.uk/tran...ektroda.pl/rtvforum/topic2223286.html&act=url

I was not trynig to say it's no good but the psu is based on a design that had some errors I was just highlighting the problems it had. I did build this version many years ago but things where overheating. Yes it may work but how reliable it is not sure if you use it all the time, There was only a few things changed like the op-amps higher voltage amps. The newer design just makes it more reliable. I've built and used the velleman 0-30V 0-10amp version and used it for many years, each to there own I say. on the polish site there are plenty good designs on there

Status
Not open for further replies.