+ Post New Thread
    Newbie level 6

Helped
    0 / 0
    Level

Help me with tunning the crystal filter

Dear all,

Have anyone here have some experience b4 of tuning the crystal filter center frequency?

As we know, the crystal filter has a very sharp passband bandwidth and very high Q. While, the crystal filter is also very hard to tune the frequency you want. I want to have a crystal filter at frequency 27.27273Mhz, while the crystal at this frequency is really hard to find. The closed crystal I could find is 27.3MHz.(By the way, I do not have the crystal on my hand, I do not know the exact resonance frequency)

So can I ask anyone who could share the experience with me of tuning the crystal filter.

Many thanks!

Best,

•   AltAdvertisement

Advanced Member level 5

Helped
    1349 / 1349
    Level

Re: Tuned Crystal Filter

Not a crystal filter expert, but my experience has been that the crystal can be used in a mode where it looks like a giant inductance. In that mode, you can externally pull the frequency a little with external inductance/capacitance. Maybe can pull it 50 KHz or so.

•   AltAdvertisement

Advanced Member level 5

Helped
    1436 / 1436
    Level

Here is an example how to tune a ladder crystal filter.

Beware, usually 27MHz crystals are actually overtone crystals with fundamental on 9MHz.

1 members found this post helpful.

•   AltAdvertisement

Advanced Member level 5

Helped
    840 / 840
    Level

A quartz crystal alone could be "pulled" by external capacitor or inductor, but a filter composed of several resonators comprises also precisely adjusted coupling elements for a good response, most often, a band-pass. In principle, such filter cannot be tuned or its center frequency moved, without simultaneously varying all filter elements.
    To design a variable-frequency band-pass filters, use active filters with operational amplifiers; new types extend up to >1 GHz, and their gain can increase the filter pole-zero performance while it is easy to "tune" such filter.

--[[ ]]--