Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Moving from 8-Bit to 16-Bit Micro-Controller Microchip

Status
Not open for further replies.

xpress_embedo

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I had used PIC16F877A and PIC18F4550 Micro-Controller, these all are 8-Bit Micro-Controller.

Now i want to use 16-Bit Micro-Controller from Microchip..

Which is the most popular 16-bit Microchip controller.
Like PIC16F877A is most popular in 16F series
and PIC18F4550 is most popular in PIC18F series..

So which is the most popular in 24F series..

I want the name of a controller which is available in Proteus Simulation
My Proteus is having the following controller, can anyone which one to use.. and how to get started with these PIC.

16-Bit.JPG

Tell me which one to use..
Initially i am going to use dsPIC mikroC compiler or CCS PIC-C Compiler..

Please help me in getting started..

Price difference between PIC24 and dsPIC33 is very small. dsPIC33 is much more powerful. You may consider using the dsPIC33 instead of PIC24. The microcontroller core is more or less the same in both. Instructions are also mostly the same, besides the DSP section.

For the PIC24 series, one of the most popular is PIC24FJ128GA010. Many of the trainer boards for PIC24 (most that I've seen) are built using the PIC24FJ128GA010. Bear in mind that it is not available in DIP package. It is available for simulation in Proteus. Among the small PIC24s, you can take a look at the PIC24FJ16GA002. Download the two datasheets and select the PIC you think is fitting for you.

For the dsPIC33 series, there are 3 common series: GP, MC, GS. GP is for general purpose, MC is for motor control, GS is for SMPS.

There are other families. I talked about the PIC24FJ which is available for simulation in Proteus. There are the faster and enhanced PIC24HJ and PIC24E series along with the new dsPIC33E series, but simulation is not there for Proteus.

Hope this helps.
Tahmid.

Thanks!!! Tahmid

Can you tell me how to get started with PIC24 series.. i am going to use mikroC for this...

can you tell me any good book on this or any other site or tutorial..

You can use this free book: https://www.mikroe.com/eng/products/view/266/programming-dspic-mcu-in-c/

It's written for dsPIC30, but the microcontroller part of the dsPIC30 and PIC24 is almost same. So, you can use it for PIC24.

But, to me, what was most helpful was the PIC24 Reference Manual:
**broken link removed**

If you go through these 2, you can quite easily master the PIC24 in a pretty short time since you are already familiar with PIC programming.

Go through them thoroughly, especially the reference manual. And of course, download the datasheet of the PIC24 you're going to use.

Hope this helps.
Tahmid.

Thank you so much Tahmid...

The link given by you Reference Manual is Extremely Usefull..

Thanks for that..
I am going to start with PIC24FJ128GA010... i will just use proteus simulation not hardware..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back