Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Adding Channel Equalization for cheap modem

Status
Not open for further replies.

honigal

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I'm using an ISM band 2.4GHz transceiver P/N:ML2724 from RFMD for high speed data communication. this transceiver is 1.536Mbps bandwidth capable with no ISI mitigation techniques inside the chip. However, an 'AOUT' signal which is the output of the 2 level FSK demodulator is available for external use such as bit slicing.

attaching the link to ML2724 datasheet with block diagram for reference:
https://www.rfmd.com/CS/Documents/ML2724_ML2724SPACEDatasheet.pdf

I would like to sample this AOUT signal with a high speed ADC and feed it to an FPGA there i will equalize this signal and do some extra receive processing.

My questions:
  1. Does this sound like a good plan? :)
  2. Which Equalization technique will fit here?
  3. There is a "hard limiter" just before the F to V function (see attached block diagram). Does this means adding equalization maybe late and thus futile?
  4. With what data should I train my equalizer? (currently my packet format is:
    | 101010...1010 | 64 bits word with good auto correlation characteristics (for start of frame purposes) | Payload | CRC |. my guess I should change my ZOZO to PN and train it with these preamble bits.
  5. How can I tell how much improvement should I expect after equalization?

Thank you all.

Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back