Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Would this work? First DYI :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Killovicz

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear all :)

Thank you very much for your time and effort, any replays would be deeply appreciated.

Would this be safe to try and would it work? Thx in adv :)

Attachments

• 30W Fan.jpg
    30W Fan.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 84

Assuming your control pin at the fan is voltage controlled and, say, 100K impedance...

This schematic may be what you want.

68_1332302101.gif

If volt level absolutely must never go above 5.25 V, then use a 13K resistance instead of 12K.

If you are trying to control a normal CPU fan, designed to connect to a PC motherboard, then that circuit won't work.

The fan is not voltage controlled, it is PWM (pulse-width modulated) controlled.

You need to make a PWM controller - there are many examples if you search google, here is one that's about as simple as you will find:

**broken link removed**

Here's another, with complete construction details:

https://www.overclockers.com/pwm-fan-controller

First of all thank you both very much :D (+1 BOTH!), special thanks goes to BradtheRad for the schematic drawing (even tho I'm not yet familiar with all the symbols nor the term "100K impedance", nor do I understand how a 10K resistor can provide variable voltage) I'll go back to Electronics for dummies and continue reeding bot capacitors :)

Also special thanks to FoxyRick fpr providing very useful links, I'll definitely use 'em just not now, I have gathered diagrams before without knowing what I do like: LM185IT-ADJ/NOPB or analogue thermometer etc. But this time I decided to try to understand a bit more electronics rather then just connect 'em.

So I bought Electronics for dummies and read 25% yesterday, so I felt a great urge today to put some of all that theory into practise, it was not to be.

Once again thanks a lot guys :)

First of all thank you both very much :D (+1 BOTH!), special thanks goes to BradtheRad for the schematic drawing (even tho I'm not yet familiar with all the symbols nor the term "100K impedance", nor do I understand how a 10K resistor can provide variable voltage)

* The 10K component is a potentiometer. Same as a volume control. I believe your schematic has one with a value of 50K.

* 'Input impedance' is a spec which gives some idea what amount of current is drawn by the control terminal on the fan.

Best of luck with your project.

The 10K component is a potentiometer. Same as a volume control. I believe your schematic has one with a value of 50K.

Ohh, ic ic, now, there is no need for 2 regular and one variable as in my set-up, just make sure that the 10 or 11k after the potentiometer eats at least 6.5V. :)

Input impedance' is a spec which gives some idea what amount of current is drawn by the control terminal on the fan.

Ohh that, I tought bot tht -->> tried to measure resistance, no luck -->> so I tought Ill try with 1/4W resistor and if it gets to hot I'll then try with ½W.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once again thanks for everything(+1): drawings, schematics analysis (lol), therm explanation , noob tolerance, issue elumination, etc.. AND YOUR TIME AND EFFORT, my deepest gratitude :)

Best regards to all, Killovicz

Status
Not open for further replies.