Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What should I look out for when reading a datasheet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cooldude_1986

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi Folks,
I have an interview at a company which is big time into processor and chipset design. I was told that one of the interview rounds is going to be on processor and chipset datasheets. I have hardly done any datasheet reading all my life. I have started reading a processor datasheet today and I am totally confused as to which portions of a datasheet I should pay more attention to??!!!!!!

"Processor datasheet" what are you mean? diagram? work principal or memory design?

Dimas, Thank you for your reply.
Processor as in a CPU. Attached is Intel Core i7 processor datasheet for reference.
Thank you.

Attachments

• 2nd-gen-core-desktop-vol-1-datasheet.pdf
    779.3 KB · Views: 155

I think most important are block diagrame, main bus and communication/ error correction type, cache structure and cache missing policy, memory controller and interfacing with ALU. Also, depending of job, is important prefatch and data/instructions pipes, power control vs host demand, thermal protection.

I think most important are block diagrame, main bus and communication/ error correction type, cache structure and cache missing policy, memory controller and interfacing with ALU. Also, depending of job, is important prefatch and data/instructions pipes, power control vs host demand, thermal protection.

Thank you so much for a very detailed answer :)

I took my interview yesterday. I did well on it. I was asked questions on the main building blocks like processor, pch, north bridge and south bridge( from the earlier architecture), transmission line concepts, cache, main memory on those boards, pci express. Your insights helped me a lot. Thank you once again. I will let you know of the result, once I get to know of it. Thank you once again.

I'm sure will be ok and gain this job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back