Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Differences Between Magnetic Field and Magnetic Wave?

Status
Not open for further replies.

serimc

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
emanim.gif

Hi

I have some confusions about Electric and Magnetic fields and waves basics.

First of all, Is that diagram fully correct?

Are electric field and electric wave the same thing?

And are magnetic wave and magnetic field the same thing? I mean every magnetic field is a part of a wave?

If not what are the differences?

I have read lots of thing, one says, dc generates electric and magnetic field, but ac generates electric and magnetic wave, is that right?

And one more confusion, Is the electric current( I mean while DC current is flowing) itself generates magnetic field/wave or the voltage differences(I mean the distance of the positive and negative poles)?

Thanks...

First, the diagram is correct.

Second, an electric field is an abstraction created to work with charged objects. Magnetic fields are an abastraction created to deal with moving charges.

Electromagnetic waves are made up of an electric and magnetic field, oscillating on perpendicular planes with respect to one another. Therefore, electromagnetic waves are made up of electric and magnetic fields, but they are NOT the same thing.

The laws of Electromagnetism (the union of electricity and magnetism) are governed by Maxwell's Equations (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxwell's_equations).

As to your last question, moving particles (current) create magnetic fields. Since in a DC circuit the current flows due to the voltage difference you can say that, indirectly, it creates the magnetic field.

Status
Not open for further replies.