Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

query on the memory-flash

Status
Not open for further replies.

adi_rage

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
When i came across the special features of few ATMEL micrcontrollers,i did not understood the term "self programmable flash".what do you mean by this exactly?

Means the microcontroller can program it self flash memory, using firmware (bootloaders are based on that feature)

When i came across the special features of few ATMEL micrcontrollers,i did not understood the term "self programmable flash".what do you mean by this exactly?

It is also referred to as In Application Programming (IAP) by many manufactures. The feature allows the Flash storage of the device to be modified during runtime as well as during device programming. It is particularly useful to storage relatively large blocks of data in nonvolatile Flash.

BigDog

Then my doubt is - IN SYSTEM PROGRAMMING and SELF PROGRAMMABLE FEATURE are different or are they both one and the same?

Then my doubt is - IN SYSTEM PROGRAMMING and SELF PROGRAMMABLE FEATURE are different or are they both one and the same?

No they are not the same.

In System Programming (ISP) - Usually refers to the ability to program a device with entirely new code using a ISP, ICSP, BDM or JTAG hardware programmer while the device is install in a Circuit/System.

Self Programmable Flash or In Application Programming (IAP) refers to the scenario discussed in my previous post.

BigDog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back