Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Interfacing pic controller to ADC...

Status
Not open for further replies.

waqassalam

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i have to sample the frequency up to 200 khz by using any ADC then interfacing to the pic controller which stores the digital bit stream,then this digital stream input to the MATLAB where i have to take the FFT on these bits.
any one have the related or exact material about that.so plz send me the interfacing circuit for ADC to PIC CONTROLLER with coding if possible.

Hai...Its very easy to use Pic microcontrollers? What is the ADC resolution you are looking for?

If you use a on chip adc you will get 10 bits of resolution...

THIS IS my suggestion. Get a controller with an internal adc module. make a conversion and send you result to the rs232 port in two byte( assumming a 10 bit resolution ). On matlab, read the serial port continuosly into a bin, scale it if you want to and then do the fft.

All under heaven.

When you say "frequency up to 200 khz" do you mean that you need to

1. Sample at up to 200K samples per second, or

2. Sample a signal that is up to 200KHz.

If it's the second, you'll need more than 400Ksps to capture the waveform and that will need a very fast PIC (PIC24 etc).

Also, you say "store". Do you intend the PIC to report the signal in real-time, or actually store a number of samples, then upload? If you really want to store them, how many samples (or how long) do you need to collect?

i am looking for using external ADC near to 400ksps with 8 or 12 bits which then further stores into controller(either pic,AVR,8051) which is easily and efficientky interfaced with the matlab where i have to perform FFT on these bits in real time..
so plzzz send me the circuit diagram related to this .... .time is short
:???:

Last edited:

Most ADCs will be suitable, you just need to find one with the sampling rate that you need, in terms of interfacing you will probably need an SPI connection from the uC to the ADC ... You could possibly look at using a parallel output ADC as well to speed up the data transfer process but it should be fine with SPI at those speeds.

/Pheetuz

Maybe you should consider an ARM based mcu (32bit) that have both processing power and fast ADC.

The ARM7 LPC2103 (or 23xx/24xx) has 10bit ADC with a max conversion rate of 450Ksample/sec and core clock up to 60MHz
Or a CortexM3 like LPC175x/6x with 12bit ADC and max conversation rate of 200Ksample/sec and core freq up to 100MHz

Alex

i am looking for using external ADC near to 400ksps with 8 or 12 bits which then further stores into controller(either pic,AVR,8051) which is easily and efficientky interfaced with the matlab where i have to perform FFT on these bits in real time..

You may want to consider the Silicon Labs line of 8051s with offered features such as up to 100MIPS performance, 16-bit ADCs up to 1 MSPS and JTAG programming/debugging, for analog intensive applications they are hard to beat for the price point.

I've use several of their series of MCUs in commercial projects, including C8051F06x and C8051F12x series.

**broken link removed**

The C8051F06x highly integrated mixed-signal MCUs feature two separate 16-bit high speed (SAR) ADCs. Each ADC operates up to 1 Msps; the highest resolution SAR ADC that has ever been integrated onto a microcontroller. In addition these devices include a 10-bit ADC and two separate 12-bit DACs.

With on-chip VDD monitor, Watchdog Timer and clock oscillator, the C8051F06x family of devices are truly stand-alone System-on-a-Chip solutions. All analog and digital peripherals are enabled/disabled and configured by user firmware. The Flash memory can be reprogrammed even in-circuit, providing non-volatile data storage, and also allowing field upgrades of the 8051 firmware.

On-board JTAG debug circuitry allows non-intrusive (uses no on-chip resources), full speed, in-circuit debugging using the production MCU installed in the final application. This debug system supports inspection and modification of memory and registers, setting breakpoints, watchpoints, single stepping and Run and Halt commands. All analog and digital peripherals are fully functional while debugging using JTAG.

Each MCU is specified for 2.7 to 3.6 V operation over the industrial temperature range (-45 to +85 °C). The C8051F060/2/4/6 are available in a 100-pin TQFP package and the C8051F061/3/5/7 are available in a 64-pin TQFP package.

**broken link removed**

The C8051F12x-3x family of precision analog MCUs includes the fastest 8-bit CPU on the market – up to 100 MIPS; 10-bit or 12-bit ADC options are available; and up to 128 kB of on-chip Flash with 8 kB of RAM.

With on-chip VDD monitor, Watchdog Timer and clock oscillator, the C8051F12x and C8051F13x devices are truly stand-alone System-on-a-Chip solutions. All analog and digital peripherals are enabled/disabled and configured by user firmware. The Flash memory can be reprogrammed even in-circuit, providing nonvolatile data storage, and also allowing field upgrades of the 8051 firmware.

On-board JTAG debug circuitry allows non-intrusive (uses no on-chip resources), full speed, in-circuit debugging using the production MCU installed in the final application. This debug system supports inspection and modification of memory and registers, setting breakpoints, watchpoints, single stepping, run and halt commands. All analog and digital peripherals are fully functional while debugging using JTAG.

Each MCU is specified for operation over the industrial temperature range (–45 to +85 °C). The Port I/O, RST and JTAG pins are tolerant for input signals up to 5 V. The devices are available in 100-pin TQFP or 64-pin TQFP packages.

Silicon Labs High-Performance, Analog-Intensive MCUs

Silicon Labs also offer relatively inexpensive development kits featuring a development board, power supply, USB JTAG programmer/debugger, CDROM with IDE/Compiler and example code.

Silicon Labs MCU Development Tools

However, you can purchase the development (target) board and the USB JTAG separately, all software and example code can be freely downloaded.

Silicon Labs also offers a line of low cost USB ToolSticks:

Silicon Labs USB ToolStick

The Silicon Labs devices are also fully supported by KEIL C51 and uVision IDE.

BigDog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back