Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Common Ground b/w two circuits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neyolight

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all

I am actually confused about -COMMON GROUNDS between circuits. What is the advantage and/or disadvantage of having one?

Also, if I connect the two grounds (-ve battery point) of two circuits, do I get a common ground between them?

And If I connect the ground of a circuit to a PIC Vss...do I establish a common ground between the circuit and the PIC?

Cheers

Dear Neyolight
Hi
Yes . those are common grounds . and about the advantages , if you don't connect the grounds of your circuits together , they can't send or receive any signal from each other .
Best Wishes
Goldsmith

Dear Neyolight
Hi
Yes . those are common grounds . and about the advantages , if you don't connect the grounds of your circuits together , they can't send or receive any signal from each other .
Best Wishes
Goldsmith

That's not entirely true. You can have devices operating on separate ground planes and still have them talk to each other, but the interface circuits become rather complex. This is typically where differential signalling and optocouplers come into play. For ease of design, just use a single, common ground plane, but add cuts and "walls" of vias to keep your circuits separated (as far as AC signals are concerned).

Dear enjunear
Hi
I know , that what is your mean . your mean is float ground . and that is independent issue . but his mean was not that . i think his mean was two ground between two simple circuits .
Regards
Goldsmith

Status
Not open for further replies.