Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

12V/DC - Duracell battery bank?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moha99

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hey all!!

I have this project, I want to build a simple 12V/DC battery bank using theses:

**broken link removed**

I was wondering could I use the battery bank and charge them at the same time? Is that possibile what do you all think?

I'll just make 4 terminals 2 for the input and for the 2 output and connect them up! Is that possible?

I mad a regular 12 volt battery bank before but they weren't rechargeable.

Thanks!

If you want to charge batteries whilst drawing a load current you must ensure that the total input current is at least equal to the load current + the trickle charge current

If you want to charge batteries whilst drawing a load current you must ensure that the total input current is at least equal to the load current + the trickle charge current

Well the battery bank will be about 12 volt to 12.5Volts and the load is exactly 12 volts.
So I dont think there will be a damage. "the trickle charge current" I did not understand that part though...

Trickle charging is supplying a battery with just a small charging current that can be continued indefinitely without overcharging it (I do not believe that NiMH should be charged this way - in my experience it shortens their life. The older NiCd could handle it and could be left on trickle charge indefinitely and people assume that NiMH is just the same. However, everyone seems to like to trickle charge NiMH so maybe I'm wrong.)

There are some circuits down this page for charging a 12V NiMH pack:

Charging NiMH Cells

But...

Be aware that NiMH cells are charged at a roughly constant current, that means the the voltage provided by the charger will be more than the battery being charged, in order to push the current into the battery.

If you intend to charge the battery with the load attached, make sure that:

(1) the load can take the few extra volts without being damaged and

(2) that the charging circuit can supply enough current for both charging the battery, and powering the load, unless it is voltage regulated to just the right voltage to trickle charge the cells (rather than using constant current) and can provide enough current to power the load as well as charge the battery.

Alternatively, if you will disconnect the load while charging, then things are much more simple. You can charge the battery with the circuits shown on the website I linked at a normal charge rate. I think that will make your battery live longer than constant trickle charging.

Trickle charging is supplying a battery with just a small charging current that can be continued indefinitely without overcharging it (I do not believe that NiMH should be charged this way - in my experience it shortens their life. The older NiCd could handle it and could be left on trickle charge indefinitely and people assume that NiMH is just the same. However, everyone seems to like to trickle charge NiMH so maybe I'm wrong.)

There are some circuits down this page for charging a 12V NiMH pack:

Charging NiMH Cells

But...

Be aware that NiMH cells are charged at a roughly constant current, that means the the voltage provided by the charger will be more than the battery being charged, in order to push the current into the battery.

If you intend to charge the battery with the load attached, make sure that:

(1) the load can take the few extra volts without being damaged and

(2) that the charging circuit can supply enough current for both charging the battery, and powering the load, unless it is voltage regulated to just the right voltage to trickle charge the cells (rather than using constant current) and can provide enough current to power the load as well as charge the battery.

Alternatively, if you will disconnect the load while charging, then things are much more simple. You can charge the battery with the circuits shown on the website I linked at a normal charge rate. I think that will make your battery live longer than constant trickle charging.

Thanks for all the info. I will start building that bank very soon and use it.

But heres what I'm going to do...

Im going to build the battery bank rated at 14.4 Volts dc, I'll charge it with an input of about 16 - 17Volts DC.
The load from the battery can handle almost about 20V/DC, But! I'll regulate it to about 12-13Volts/DC. So I think the battery bank will be charged well and for a long time will last dont you think?

Keep in mind that when ever im using the battery bank I will charge it at the same time. So I think it will be at the same rated voltage at 14.4Volts/DC since im constantly charging it while using it on the load.

But thanks a lot for that help it really helped me to build a better more sufficient circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.