Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Abrading top-side marking: damage internal die?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackyzhangsh

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

If for some reason such as IP security concerns, I don’t want the PCB assembly house to know the actual type of chip that I use, can I abrade the majority its top marking off and leave only the “A1” pin mark?

bgaside.png

Does it depend on the actual type of BGA one is using? For example, like in the figure above, BGA has different variations, and the 1st subfigure above seems having its die closest to the top surface which suggest higher danger of being damaged during abrasion.

I would like to know if abrading top-side marking is a common practice for hiding chip information? How much is the possibility of damaging the internal die?

Jack

Well, if you scrape too much, you could, maybe, damage the die.
But, if your BGA needs cooling, you will have to try another way of hiding the markings. Anyhow some of your fellow countryman can easily read out your chip, by opening it and micro probing.

ZASto,
Well, if you scrape too much, you could, maybe, damage the die.
But, if your BGA needs cooling, you will have to try another way of hiding the markings. Anyhow some of your fellow countryman can easily read out your chip, by opening it and micro probing.

Why "cooling" would make the difference? How can they open and micro probe the chip without damaging it (the assembly house need to give it back to me after soldering)?

Jack

ZASto,

I see the message, thanks very much.

Jack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back