Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Microcontroller programming using C

Status
Not open for further replies.

shareefsma

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I am a newbie to this forum. I have a little knowledge in micro-controllers, and C programming. Now the thing is, I want to learn programming controllers using C language. I don't know where to start with. So my queries here are
1. Is there any book available from where I could get a basic idea of where to begin.
2. Also it will be helpful if someone tell me the tools I need to use?
3. And another big obstacle is I am not well versed with assembly language programming. In that case, will it be a difficulty in programming controllers using C?
4. What are all the possible tools/platforms for developing C programs for controllers?

Please help me out guys.

Thank you in advance.

I think you should start with 8051 microcontroller by mazidi book.

and tool is uVision keil for beginners.

C is easier than assembly.

but you should start with assembly first, for better understanding.

1) Plenty available. I would recommend you start with PIC/AVR. Then, you choose the book necessary. Mazidi's books on PIC and AVR are among the best I've found. You can use that. It pretty much covers everything from the basics.
2) You need the IDE and compiler. You can use AVR-GCC and AVR Studio. These are free and available on the Atmel website. For PIC, you can use MPLAB and Hi-Tech C. These are also free (the latter is a free trial). I personally use mikroC for both PIC and AVR and you can take a look at mikroC. **broken link removed** mikroC compiler/IDE - Forum for Electronics
3) You can master microcontrollers and C with very little knowledge of assembly. This is not too big of a disadvantage, but knowing assembly helps you understand what's happening in the microcontroller.
4) There are too many to name. You would need the IDE and compiler (check point 2). You will need a programmer to "burn" your microcontroller. Besides that you'll need your PC for programming. You may want to buy an in-circuit debugger or circuit simulator.

Hope this helps.
Tahmid.

Last edited by a moderator:

1) Plenty available. I would recommend you start with PIC/AVR. Then, you choose the book necessary. Mazidi's books on PIC and AVR are among the best I've found. You can use that. It pretty much covers everything from the basics.
2) You need the IDE and compiler. You can use AVR-GCC and AVR Studio. These are free and available on the Atmel website. For PIC, you can use MPLAB and Hi-Tech C. These are also free (the latter is a free trial). I personally use mikroC for both PIC and AVR and you can take a look at mikroC. **broken link removed** mikroC compiler/IDE - Forum for Electronics
3) You can master microcontrollers and C with very little knowledge of assembly. This is not too big of a disadvantage, but knowing assembly helps you understand what's happening in the microcontroller.
4) There are too many to name. You would need the IDE and compiler (check point 2). You will need a programmer to "burn" your microcontroller. Besides that you'll need your PC for programming. You may want to buy an in-circuit debugger or circuit simulator.

Hope this helps.
Tahmid.

Tahmid...
Thanks for the efforts dude.. I still have some queries which I got after reading your reply.
As it comes to IDE, IDE and Compiler comes together as a single software, right? In that case, shall I use keil \[\mu\]Vision, which I have readily available?
And also, could you please elaborate on In circuit debugger and circuit simulator, their purpose/importance?

Thanks in advance.

Ashik.

Last edited by a moderator:

hi.I think the best way for learning the programming using C is that you choose a book which has many project from simple to professional. because when you learn C ,you should feel it.and if you don't do the project ,you cant understand it well.i think all you need is Proteus for simulation.and Codevision for writing and programming.and another thing which can be helpful is reading the datasheet.its so great.all the book use datasheet as Reference.
best wishes
pesarirouni

Tahmid...
Thanks for the efforts dude.. I still have some queries which I got after reading your reply.
As it comes to IDE, IDE and Compiler comes together as a single software, right? In that case, shall I use keil \[\mu\]Vision, which I have readily available?

Not necessarily.

Which microcontroller did you decide to use? Keil doesn't support AVR or PIC. So, did you decide to start with 8051 family? If so, you can use it. But if you plan to use PIC/AVR as I've said before, then you can't use Keil.

And also, could you please elaborate on In circuit debugger and circuit simulator, their purpose/importance?

Thanks in advance.

Ashik.

You can find more detailed answers by using Google.
In short, they both reduce development time by making debugging and testing easier. By simulating, you can check most of the stuff without even having to build the hardware. Most stuff can be simulated although there are some stuff that can not be simulated to behave exactly like they would in real hardware. And in the end, you would need to build the actual hardware to test. Then, you can use the ICD to debug the code while the microcontroller (in the circuit) is running. This will help you catch and fix errors and bugs while testing on real hardware and would thus save development time and make development easier.

Hope this helps.
Tahmid.

thank you tahmid and pesarirouni...

i ve decided to start with 8051... already having mazidi in my hands.. after getting quite comfortable with tat, I ll move on to PIC or AVR family..

Status
Not open for further replies.