Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is trend in 2012 for PCB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

soppcb

Banned
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Nowadays, the flat tv or computer boards, like 6 or 8 layers, are popular? Because there are many orders like this boards in our lines. What about HDI? I think HDI will be still the trend, what do you think?
Jack
Soppcbtech at gmail dot com

Biggest driver is mobile devices. 6 billion discrete compnents are placed every day...
Join the IPC and each year you can read:
"World PCB Production Report for the Year 20xx" published in July each year.

Here is a rough breakdown of World Production by Board Type from the last release:

Standard Multi-Layer 38.0%
HDI Microvia 14.6%
IC Substrates 13.2%
FR-4 Glass Epoxy 11.2%
Flexible Circuits 10.3%
Rigid Flex 5.2%
Paper & CEM-1 2.8%
CEM-3 2.4%
Metal Core 0.3% (This figure will rise significantly due to the proliferation of LED lighting, my comment).

The rest of the report is worth getting especially if you are in the business of fabricating PCB's, it is also the definitive report as near enough ALL PCB are manufactured to IPC standards and all PCB manufacturers I have ever dealt with have been IPC members.

I have reports from 1997 - today, It makes interesting reading on how our industry is changing over the years, and how new technology and market trends have impacted PCB design.

Last edited:

HDI is also very famous in PCB design.. application requirement increasing . and board length is decreasing ..density increasing..next genartiion designs like 4G..global navigation system..satellite communication etc...
Regards
Praveen

[/COLOR]Yes HDI is second on the list.
This list is not something I have made up, it is from the de-facto resource for global PCB manufacture design and assembly, you do need to look at previous years reports to get a feal for trends, or even better, get your company to join the IPC and you can get the full document and access to a lot more pertinent information in relationship to PCB design.
In fact become a total saddo like me, who's whole life revolves around PCB design manufacture and assembly, I spend the daylight hours designing boards, then read about PCB's signal integrity, etc etc in the hours between bed and work... But the subject has always facinated me since I started doing them in 1985.:sad:

Hi, Marce, you are a very experienced engineer, are you able to do PCB design and its assembly yourself?

JACK

soppcbtech at gmail dot com
[MODERATOR - ADVERTISING REMOVED]

[/COLOR]Yes HDI is second on the list.
This list is not something I have made up, it is from the de-facto resource for global PCB manufacture design and assembly, you do need to look at previous years reports to get a feal for trends, or even better, get your company to join the IPC and you can get the full document and access to a lot more pertinent information in relationship to PCB design.
In fact become a total saddo like me, who's whole life revolves around PCB design manufacture and assembly, I spend the daylight hours designing boards, then read about PCB's signal integrity, etc etc in the hours between bed and work... But the subject has always facinated me since I started doing them in 1985.:sad:

I have spent over 25 years doing PCB's and have always been involved where possible with the assembly of my designs, quite often hands on especialy in the early days of SMD. So as well as the electrical reuirements of a design I keep up to date with all aspects of PCB manufacture and assembly, otherwise I cannot design boards to my expectations, which are very strict (very, I have a set of standards that I must work to, that are more stringent than most peoples).
I recieve monthy the main magazines related to both PCB design and assembly (and the various e-mail newsletters and updates), as well as being into high speed and SMPS layout. It is always a field that is changing fast so trying to keep up with all the new advances keeps me going.
That is my philosophy toward PCB design, and why sometimes my replies may seem a little curt, I dont mean to be, but I work to my set of standards always.

Hi, Marce, you are really a complicated and experienced engineer for years.
I asked you this because one of my friend wanna find a experienced engineer both in design and assembly,
he has got a project with two engineers, but they are not so good for assembly themself.
His PCB and assembly is made in our factory, so he asked me whether we could help him find a experienced engineer,
are you busy in your job? it is interested for you?
Or do you have any friend who are with the same experience with you?

Jack
I have spent over 25 years doing PCB's and have always been involved where possible with the assembly of my designs, quite often hands on especialy in the early days of SMD. So as well as the electrical reuirements of a design I keep up to date with all aspects of PCB manufacture and assembly, otherwise I cannot design boards to my expectations, which are very strict (very, I have a set of standards that I must work to, that are more stringent than most peoples).
I recieve monthy the main magazines related to both PCB design and assembly (and the various e-mail newsletters and updates), as well as being into high speed and SMPS layout. It is always a field that is changing fast so trying to keep up with all the new advances keeps me going.
That is my philosophy toward PCB design, and why sometimes my replies may seem a little curt, I dont mean to be, but I work to my set of standards always.

I am tied up with work at the moment, I am just in the process of changing jobs due to redundancies and being messed about (if I sound bitter it is because I have been shafted!) and have to work my full notice, I will then be moving to my new job where they will be contracting me out, and part of the deal is no moonlighting.
Sorry
Marc

Hello, Marce, it is ok, no problem, be care of your body.
There is a big redundancy in UK now?

Jack

I am tied up with work at the moment, I am just in the process of changing jobs due to redundancies and being messed about (if I sound bitter it is because I have been shafted!) and have to work my full notice, I will then be moving to my new job where they will be contracting me out, and part of the deal is no moonlighting.
Sorry
Marc

Hi Marce,

As you are well experienced in PCB Design, i have to ask one query regarding the Metal clad PCB.
I am Planning to design the metal clad PCB to place the 1 watt High Bright LEDs. I have to Place 8 HB LEDS in 75mm length. Each LED length itself is 8 mm. so for 8 LEDs,8x8 = 68 mm. 1mm gap between each LEDs.
1x7 = 7 mm. so totally, 68 + 7 = 75mm. My question is, can be place the High bright 1 watt LEDs 1mm gap. Please share your expericence with us?

Thanks,
V. Prakash

It is aluminum led board?

Jack

Hi,

Yes. the HB led placed in the aluminium metal board.

Thanks,
V. Prakash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back