Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can an Ethernet switch be made to work like a hub?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SherpaDoug

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Is there anything like a modem type command set that will allow me to tell an Ethernet switch to just work like a dumb hub? Mostly I want a hub so I can evesdrop from one port onto traffic between two others for troubleshooting purposes. But secondly I am trying to minimize delays, and it seems a switch won't start relaying a packet until it has recieved the whole packet and checksum so you get a whole packet length delay in the switch.

If it's a managed switch (not a cheap-as-possible consumer switch) then it probably has a command or setting on the GUI that mirrors all traffic through a specified port to another port. That allows traffic monitoring like you ask. I've used that method often.

There's no way to completely turn any switch I've worked on into a hub though. Store-and-forward is just how they work.

I keep an old hub in my 'toolkit' for easy monitoring if I need to watch traffic from several ports at once.

Status
Not open for further replies.