Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

IR proximity sensor close range problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

slow_rider

I'm using the Sharp IR proximity sensors that I'm sure a lot of people know about: Pololu - Optical Range Finders
These always have a range, for example the model I am using does 5cm to 80cm. It is not very accurate but I can calibrate it. The biggest problem with these devices is the output when the device in "under range".
Please take a look at fig.2 at the 5th page in the datasheet https://www.pololu.com/file/0J85/gp2y0a21yk0f.pdf, you can see how the output is usable from about 5 or 6cm and above. Under that, there's "aliasing" and an object located 2cm away from the sensor would generate the same output as if it's 20cm away.

So what I am basically asking here is how to figure out when the object is 5cm or under so I can output TOO CLOSE or a similar msg.
What comes to mind in sample pretty quickly so I can figure out the approx. distance the object moved and from the points gathered, calculate the slope which should be pretty constant if under range or value at point = derivative if in range. However this is not easy for an 8bit MCU :)

Mount the sensor 5cm back so nothing can be closer than that.

Keith

Is there a shorter range device available? If so, simply use two - one for the short range, one for the longer range.

Keith.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back