Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

10" to 14" displays in MCU applications, Cortex-M3 etc - Possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mindthomas

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear EDABoard members.

I have been searching the internet for a while looking for a display solution to connect to an MCU but with bigger sizes than 7".
I have previously done LCD/TFT projects using the SSD1963 controller chip from Solomon to drive a 7" display with a resolution of 800x480 pixels.
Though now my requirement in size (NOT NECESSARILY RESOLUTION) have become bigger, so I have been trying hard to find another solution.

I have been working with the following solution ideas but I would like you to comment on them or even come up with other options.
  • Get a larger display, 10"-14", but with the same resolution, 800x480, so it would be possible to drive it with the SSD1963
  • Find another display controller capable of driving the standard 10"-14" displays with resolutions around 1024x768
  • Find a larger display with integrated display controller or with a supported display controller module next to it
  • Make our own controller chip using an FPGA and some SRAM for driving the LCD lines directly

What do you think? Please come up with other ideas if possible :)

Thank you in advance.

Best Regards
Thomas Jespersen

I would do it with an FPGA and an SDRAM. Not trivial but simple enough and using cheap components that will be available for a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back