Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

basic question regarding pixels and bits

Status
Not open for further replies.

yuvalkesi

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I've got rather basic question, and things don't add up to me... I hope it's the right forum.
If I have a screen of, let's say, 9 pixesl by 9 pixels.
Each of these 9 pixels can be represented by 4 bits, so the total address bus is 8 bits wide (both axes are 4 bits each).
Now, from a different point of view, the total sum of pixels is 81 pixels, and that is 7 bits wide...
So something is wrong here, obviously.
Please clarify.
Thx.

9x9 pixels =total 81 pixels. you are right.

but how do you want to access individual pixel?

straight by numbering each pixel individually ? then from 0 to 80(tot 81 pixels) , you require 7 bits to address individual pixel.

but when you use row and column address for referring individual pixel ,
row requires 4 bits and col require 4 bits.(tot 8 bits)

since it is easy to refer individual pixel by (row and col ) addressing , we usually use that method.

Hi,
I've got rather basic question, and things don't add up to me... I hope it's the right forum.
If I have a screen of, let's say, 9 pixesl by 9 pixels.
Each of these 9 pixels can be represented by 4 bits, so the total address bus is 8 bits wide (both axes are 4 bits each).
Now, from a different point of view, the total sum of pixels is 81 pixels, and that is 7 bits wide...
So something is wrong here, obviously.
Please clarify.
Thx.

Nothing is wrong here, obviously. Did you notice about the unused addresses? The unused addresses in 8 bits is more than in 7 bits. Now if you consider that 9x9 as say something like 11x8 (note that some are unused) then you can do that by using 7 bits. The thing is we usually prefer the best method.

HTH

Regrads,
iVenky

Status
Not open for further replies.