Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Anyone with a Raspberry PI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear LightDiodeDesigns
Hello
Can you explain , that what is your mean or what do you need clearly , please?
Goldsmith

Yeah. Future me has three of those, and will probably be very happy with it!

And I suspect the OP is just wondering if there's anyone here that has one of those, and is looking for opinions on it in general.

Last edited:

According to the FAQ FAQs | Raspberry Pi the device is not available yet and there is no specific release date either.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yeah, I'm trying to get one sorted too, there are people with them about writing demos I've seen and its possible to "knock one up".. From my point of view it is a real good idea to have computers about with actual GPIO red-wire-able bits coming out of that are going into schools to get a bit of coding and electronics practicals in... I learned a lot from having to know how to plug in to a TV, and type "load "" and start the tape" etc, or even type in a program from "ZX81 user magazine" until knocking the extra "16k ram-pack" wiped its memory and meant the machine needed replacing often!) (all of which is amazing enough to get to that point from TTL shift buffers and ttl full-adders etc), "turtles and light-pens" and stuff give good "glimpses" into the now massively abstract world of the computer... Elelectronics simulation packages are brilliant but

PC's and Box's and Stations and phones just make everything seem "there" where it is all "maths from voltages" and timing with *no magic*. Even a RISC core is "running code" in an abstract way but at least there is a shift register in there somewhere, 1's and 0's (and Z's) etc....

I like the idea of a common-base usable "computer"... When humans get to Mars (next 300 years definately I would think) I'd prefer to be there (one way I imagine) with an actual human-solderable machine that can be "tampered with" and stuff, just in case my *pod blows up and a new one is 3years away in the post... Also, in an emergency, I could more easily use a PI talk to my Wii controller to make an my aircon unit work properly or something I could just have soldered onto the pins myself (using a magnifying glass and sun or something)....
Cool
NEAL

---------- Post added at 14:23 ---------- Previous post was at 14:14 ----------

Am I taking advice from the a holo-virus induced red eyed maifestation of evil from the future that has returned,? or have you one on order mate? :)
NEAL

Am I taking advice from the a holo-virus induced red eyed maifestation of evil from the future that has returned,?

You very well might be. ;-)

Unfortunately no I don't have one, nor do I have one on order (yet). But I'm in no rush since there are plenty of other projects to be done first. ;) So if the Raspberry Pi folks have things sorted out in say 3 months then that's fine by me. And given those prices I'd be silly to get only one. After all, best to invest time to learn a platform only once, and then use it more than just one time...

Raspberry Pi's $35 Linux computer on track to launch later this month

The first model of the Raspberry Pi Foundation's low-cost Linux computer will likely be available for purchase later this month. The organization **broken link removed** these days that manufacturing on the first batch is set to complete on February 20.

The $35 computer, which is a bare board the size of a deck of playing cards, has a 700MHz ARM11 CPU and 256MB of RAM. A second model with lower specs will eventually be released for $25. According to a statement issued today by the Raspberry Pi Foundation, the $35 model will probably be available for purchase by the end of the month unless there are additional production delays.

We reported on the Raspberry Pi computer last month when manufacturing was set to begin. Completion of the first batch was delayed because the manufacturer had difficulty sourcing a component. The issue was resolved and production resumed.

In addition to announcing the expected ate of completion for the first batch, the Raspberry Pi Foundation has also announced the availability of technical documentation from Broadcom with details about the SoC used in the Raspberry Pi board. The document is available for **broken link removed** as a PDF file.

Post Source: https://arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2012/02/raspberry-pis-35-linux-computer-on-track-to-launch-later-this-month.ars

I'd like to order one, any ideas? I know of a chip programming place in the UK that can do up to 1200/hr, I hope they get them involved!!!

I want to make an OS, from scratch, just me and the BIOS, and this looks like just the thing... I know its got GPIO ports coming out of it so I'm in love already, its got to be fun!!
Best regards & Thanks in advance
NEAL

I've got my RaspBerry PI reserved I think now. I've registered with RS (UK) to get my hands on one of their first shipment, I can't wait!!!

Anyone in Leicester (UK) for the 10th/11th March, there is a Mega Event (from my point of view) at the Leicester Space Centre I'm sure will interest a lot of OK mid-aged geekz, the "BritSciFi Weekend", I'll be there!!! marvelous!)
**broken link removed**

I'm lucky to be able to go thanks to their TechnicalManager's arrangements for me because of an unimaginable set of lucy coincidences.! I happened to get in touch looking to volunteer for *anything* and he's given me a look at a project there they are "jazzing" a large hanging model of the SpaceStation and I can "watch" and suggest things, and keep me active in a good direction I hope!! As a nice reward I can goto the event and take 2 mate's kids!! :-D indeedy
**broken link removed**
plus there's a few more pics **broken link removed**

The model itself will not be animated, but I'd like them to put "a few" 128x64 GLCD modules and LED Matrix etc (and RF linked controller MCUs) around it as part of the lighting that'll highlight certain areas "on demand", wouln't it be great to have a visible "PI" for the control desk, 2 screens. In a perfect world they'd even get people to "code" live on them in the 360' projection "planetarium) theatre for even more interaction, coding parties looked immense fun in the 90's. Maybe I was brainwashed like the "southpark planetarium episode" whilst I was there!! :p
**broken link removed**
The best thing ever, I got to see the "rocket countdown sequence" where the real 2nd-hand rocket blasts smoke out and rumbles and counts down... A lot of fun for the kids in there doing the countdown, I'm still smiling too thinking about it.!!
**broken link removed**

NEAL

I have had messages to say that there have been manufacturing problems, caused by the use of the wrong ethernet connector... The first "batch" are being remade meaning I've got a bit longer to wait, but I have my name on one of RS (UK)'s 1st shipment, I'll post a photo of it as soon as it arrives!!!
NEAL

Windows8 will have an ARM native version as an alternative to many UNIX's... The RS-PI looks like it comes with RedHat's Fedora (installed or just the media).... I'm hoping to write a version of NesIx for it from scratch too,
coder to the core
NEAL:)

The thing i noticed is that the price is $35. Now on top of that you need memory card and a monitor. It easily ends up to the price of a refurbished dell laptop.

What do you think?

Price wise, yes there are many good-and-bad points.... From my point of view, like the 80's BBC Model B (and Sinclair/Amstrad etc) computer in the UK, a mass "get kids programming" system looks ideal...! The fact that it comes boxless, has GPIO and video and USB, it looks like a nice "platform", but it just depends who "jumps on it!!!" Hopefully a lot of people will learn base Unix *young*...

Lets face it, i'm on a 4core PC now, access to about 20cores in the house, I've a massive video-procesing card, wifi/ethernet, etc, so It's not the technology thats the good thing about the PI, its the Platform that will hopefully take off as a home-devbox!!!
I can currently write whatever I need on a Windows PC (or Atari ST), so the PI will be just another addition to the toolkit, but all my mates' kids *will* all have them at school so we can write stuff betweeen us and they can show it off, just like when I was 8!...! Just the addition of a turtle and lightpen and I am back in 1983! For £30, with an SD slot and VGA connector and chips I think is OK...! My 4GB memory card from "Maplins'" was £6, so about £40 total (plus keyboards I've got 000's!) with postage for the working package I believe is quite fair!!

I want to write an OS from pre-bootloader stages, and this looks like the base for it!! I could just use Unix as the base, but why not create (or finish off) my own "Nesix" with the chance to run on its new PI platform!!!! Originally running on MsAccess2, I've still got a lot of it in use, an ideal forum server!!!
Cool :)
NEAL

The thing i noticed is that the price is $35. Now on top of that you need memory card and a monitor. It easily ends up to the price of a refurbished dell laptop.

What do you think?

I think: "Are you kidding me?"

Say I have a project that needs 100 of those as embedded device. Good luck providing 100 identical refurbished dell laptops ... that fit into a nice little area.

Everyone and their dog will have a spare monitor they can use for this. Plus while we are at it, will your refurb cheapo laptop do smooth 1080p playback? However I readily agree with you have to add the memory card since it would be too annoying to swap those out. What do these run for these days? I haven't really been paying attention since I always get them for free when I buy a box of cornflakes.

I won't need a monitor, I'll be running it on a big TV, or thats my intention (The pc would plug in there too but won't be!!) I am sure it plugs into Scart, but all my TV's have HDMI or VGA, I believe any-will-do....
I've got a radio keyboard/mouse and radio-audio-transcievers so the unit can just live behind the TV, just for FireFox or Quake or whatever..! Using RDP/x11 etc it will make it a good virtual KVM...

The fact its got red-wireable GPIO means I'll undoubltedly have HTC1632 LED matrix's plugged into it, I might even write proper GDI drivers for them!

NEAL

NEAL

---------- Post added at 09:19 ---------- Previous post was at 09:15 ----------

This is where I got my memory card... Not bad, off the shelf and 1year warranty, £5 for 4GB... That's about 3.5 litres of petrol here!!!
**broken link removed**

I can't wait for my PI to come!!!, and as said, if I ever need 1000 embedded identical devices, there she is!!

NEAL

The sun is *shining* in UK!! :)

£5 for 4GB is a bit steep for cornflakes.

You can get 8 Gb for less than that price. Class 4 as well, Kingstons for example. About 4.5 euro here at the normal boring shoppe for that 8 Gb. So there's some leftover money for the milk.

I thought there'd be cheaper, especially in bulk...!.... But Maplins' is 20 mins away on the bus and on the shelf item, when I get some doughnuts (on Giro day!) I'll get another just in case... I just happened to get one last time in there so I'm ready for the PI as soon as it arrives!!!
NEAL

The summer is here!! (and GMT +1!)

This price is also of the "walking distance, single quantities" kind. If you do bulk no doubt you can get it a lot cheaper. The price point seems to favor 8 Gb currently, with 16 Gb also being pretty darn affordable.

For the RPi I'd use 16 Gb. Gives you enough room for some apps. But oh well, you can always nfs mount the rest if you need lots more, so basically it becomes whatever you can get on the cheap that's 1 Gb or more.

I've got quite a few cards as you can imagine, I suspect I'll have a Windoze 8 ARM native card , a few Unix and a Nesix one... As I'm reinstalling a VM every 45 days to re-proMode HiTech C and everything else time-limited trial wise (Visual studio, etc), it might as well be a PI card re-copy...

I've always liked the idea of clustering and chunking and symetric-processing and transputing and everything "Parrralell processing" wise, so toying with ideas of MicroSoft stylee "Metro App"s'll" It gives a way to split the processing load nicely around the house I can imagine.... I can use at least one IIS server (but it'd be just as good in Perl/Unix I am sure!) per app as the service end, give at least one 'core' to each IIS server running the 1 app (VM wise or just on multiple laptops). With a housefull of machines with multiple cores in I might as well try and use them together, for more than just calulating PI...! I want to know the result of every draughts-game possible, it'd be a start!
NEAL :-D

And the Nesix version will be

---------- Post added at 12:25 ---------- Previous post was at 12:21 ----------

And the Nesix version will be RPC through and through!! Use a sockets-type-setup all the way for "processing task channels", every chunked "work unit" can be sent to a free core and the results returned later, just like Async.Net to "abstract" it... Add more machines, get more power!!! Nanobots of the future might end up running NesixLite!!! I can't imagine many uses but can see the fun in getting there!
NEAL

Status
Not open for further replies.