Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

problems with interfacing SKM53 GPS module & did i damage it when i did this wiring ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkness master

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
problems with interfacing SKM53 GPS module & did i damage it when i did this wiring ?

Hi all
I'm a beginner in Micros and I'm facing a lot of problems with my SKM53 GPS (Datasheet) module:

1-I wired it the wrong way unintentionally, I connected VCC (5V) or GND (don't remember exactly) to TXD for a few seconds and then I noticed and disconnected it, Did i damage the module?

2- I've read that the standard NMEA baud rate is 4800, but in the datasheet provided above it says 9600, I wrote a program trying both of them but i had no output. I use UART module in PIC16f877a. I'm trying to show the position, velocity, time extracted from the GPS sentences on LCD, this is my code (which I think is completely wrong)
Code:
// LCD module connections
sbit LCD_RS at RB4_bit;
sbit LCD_EN at RB5_bit;
sbit LCD_D4 at RB0_bit;
sbit LCD_D5 at RB1_bit;
sbit LCD_D6 at RB2_bit;
sbit LCD_D7 at RB3_bit;

sbit LCD_RS_Direction at TRISB4_bit;
sbit LCD_EN_Direction at TRISB5_bit;
sbit LCD_D4_Direction at TRISB0_bit;
sbit LCD_D5_Direction at TRISB1_bit;
sbit LCD_D6_Direction at TRISB2_bit;
sbit LCD_D7_Direction at TRISB3_bit;

char x[82]="       ";
 void interrupt(){
 if(pir1.b5==1){
uart1_read_text(x,"*",10);
lcd_out(1,1,x);
 pir1.b5=0;
 }
 }
void main() {
intcon.b7=1;
intcon.B6=1;
pir1.b5=0;
pie1.B5=1;
lcd_init();
uart1_init(9600);
 while(1){}
}

any help (and codes) would be appreciated :sad:

Re: problems with interfacing SKM53 GPS module & did i damage it when i did this wiri

If you connect TXD with 5V or GND, I think not damage.
If you wrong connect 5V with GND and GND with 5V, this will damage.

Did you get any display from that code?

Re: problems with interfacing SKM53 GPS module & did i damage it when i did this wiri

brother,just connect the ground pin to the common grnd then connect the Tx of gps to the T1in of max232 then connect the T1out to ur mcu Rx pin then do the programming accordingly

Status
Not open for further replies.