Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

USB 2.0 over Ethernet

Status
Not open for further replies.

cabelyn

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi there,
I quite new here, so I believe this is the right place to post that, if no I appreciate to be redirect by one of you guys.
I want to build one USB 2.0 extender over ethernet cable. It`s just because I already have the cable wired at my place and I need to connect my Kinect that is 15 meter far away from the console. As I know USB 2.0 just support 5 meters cable, so I thinking in have one OpAmp between USB and Ethernet cable.
Do you think it got work, is there any suggestion?

In advance, I thank you all so much.
Kind regards!

That works no doubt, on market there is lots of commercial products. Problem may exist in some device if response time is to low. I try dentist HD camera with this over 15m and working great. If I found some circuit I will post. Commercial products USB-UTP are not expensive and may go to 100-200m in distance. But if You love we will find some nice circuit to build. ;-)

USB range extenders using CAT5 cables are commercially available.

I want to build one USB 2.0 extender over ethernet cable.
Strictly speaking, USB 2.0 doesn't necessarily involve a high speed connection. It's just an option in USB 2.0.
So you would need to specify the intended speed,

so I thinking in have one OpAmp between USB and Ethernet cable.
Nice idea, but it surely doesn't work. USB is implementing a bidirectional data transmission over one twisted pair. A range extender needs to split it into unidirectional data pathes in a first place and convert it to a different physical layer. I don't know how the existing solutions are converting USB HS, but I guess, they may utilize industry standard 1 GBit ethernet physical layer.

In other words, designing an USB HS range extender is a complex project, unless you can refer to a ready to use chip set.

Status
Not open for further replies.