Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DIY Wire-to-board Connector

Status
Not open for further replies.

aallan

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I need to connect a wired battery holder to a PCB, as well as various wires from other boards and sensors.

I don't want to just solder directly - for obvious reasons. Can anyone recommend a wire-to-board connector that is simple and reliable?

I have seen male headers on pcbs, with wire-mounted header sockets, but I don't have any crimping tools to make the wire-mounted sockets.

Can anyone help?

Use such connectors, no need for crimping tools for this :

x3_molex_on_black_background.jpg

Thanks

Can anyone give me an RS or Farnell number for these connectors? How are these attached to wires without a crimping tool?

You may want to consider an IDC (insulation displacement connector) connector. Here is just one of hundreds that DigiKey carries. I am certain Farnell and RS have similar offerings. You need to specify wire gauge, stranded or solid, and whether you want something that will mate with a header or some other type of socket/pin. No soldering is required. The wire is just pressed between blades to make contact. Special tools are sold for pressing the wires into the connectors, but I just use a homemade poker. They are often used for connecting ribbon cables, but versions for single wires are also available, as in this example.

Digi-Key - 455-1071-ND (Manufacturer - 03DB-8M)

John

try your nearest radio shack store and look at the PC MOLEX crimps they give you the idea
for the small crimps you can crimp them with EITHER do them by hand carefully with needle nose pliers (labourios boring tedious and finger nipping when tierd but possible) or use a 99p pair of blue handled crip pliers from a famous tinternet auction site with 4 letters in it
HARWINS may send you a sample if you ask them nicely

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back