Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

HCF4017 and Clock input

Status
Not open for further replies.

GranTotem

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello Everyone,

I want to use an HCF4017 or similar device to controll many applications by hacking a rc car to send the motor control signals to the clock input of the HCF and then change the output and so change what device im controlling with the other "joystick" in the controller.
The problem is I cant get it to work, at first if I dont have a signal comming to Clock the Leds im using to represent the devices all flash like crazy. When I added a button to clock, the LED flashing will only stop while I hold down the button else they go crazy.
Does anyone have an idea of how I can get this to work, I dont want to use a microcontroller because I dont have a programmer, maybe is there another device I can use instead of the HCF4017?
---------------------------------Added Part------------------------------
Here is the Schematic:

**broken link removed**
(Sorry I couldnt put it in here)

The big green block on the right, represents the circuit inside the RC car, the 2 wires are the connections to what would be the forward/backwards motor, the other one, the one going to "CLK" is the "right" command to the steering motor. What I want is when the "right" is pressed the HCF4017 will change the output, allowing the control over another motor with the Forward/Backward commandz. I am using the relays as I needed a way to not drain the current directly from the HCF4017 while not using transistors as the power rails to the motor switch from Positive to Negative depending on if it should go forward or backward.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks In advance,

GranTotem

Last edited:

The basic idea sounds OK, so it would seem that something's not quite right with your actual implementation. It will help diagnose the problem if you posted a schematic showing all details, not just the part you think is relevant. No offense meant with that last remark. It's just that many posters leave out some bits of info that later turn out to be crucial.

I want to use an HCF4017 or similar device to controll many applications by hacking a rc car to send the motor control signals to the clock input of the HCF and then change the output and so change what device im controlling with the other "joystick" in the controller.

Does anyone have an idea of how I can get this to work, I dont want to use a microcontroller because I dont have a programmer, maybe is there another device I can use instead of the HCF4017?

In reference to your remote/end system.

What specific devices are you attempting to control? Exactly many are there? Without more specifics concerning the task at hand, it is difficult to make a recommendation.

There are TX/RX pair modules available which do not require a microcontroller. They offer a finite number of states, e.g., turn right, turn left, forward, backward, etc.

The issue you are experiencing with the HCF4017 maybe the lack of control sending a finite number of clock pulses, also each state can only be reached by sequentially stepping through the states in between.

An example of a five channel/state RF remote control TX/RX Pair:

TX-2B / RX-2B 5 channel radio remote control

Similar TX/RX RF remote control pairs with 16 channels/states are available.

BigDog

Status
Not open for further replies.