Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

please help how to read the displayed data in LCD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chychy

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
we were trying to display data in lcd using parallel cable port to display the id number from our system., the problem is., we also need to get that displayed numbers to the 7 segment and multiplex it., does anyone here knows how to read the data from the lcd 16x2?

You can't normally read data from an LCD, most are 'output only' devices and have no method of reading back their character memory.
If you mean to display the same data on a second display which is a 7-segment type, the easiest solution is to use a dedicated display driver IC. The MAX7219 comes to mind but I think it has been superceeded by newer types. These devices do everything for you to display up to 8 digits, including all the multiplexing but you can chain them together to add more digits if needed. You should be able to drive it from a parallel port and at the same time as an LCD because their control protocols are completely different.

Brian.

In your software, why can't you write into buffer and keep it there until you want to update your LCD. Then you should be able to reuse the data for the 7 segment. I do that in my software, when the user type in some numbers in the LCD but the data is stored in a buffer where I can retrieve it and send it via serial port or store in memory when the user press the print or save button.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back