Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Advice for low speed camera project

Status
Not open for further replies.

2Ambitious

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm a student working on a very basic, low-performance imaging hardware project. It is for my own interest, it is not homework (thank goodness they don't assign these things for homework!)
The project is very simple, I just need to interface a OVM7690 CMOS camera to a micro controller. I want to solder the CMOS camera to a flex-circuit (those brown polyimide ones) breakout board / ribbon cable and then solder the flex circuit to a PCB. I have some basic questions that I haven't been able to find the answer to, even after a considerable effort. I would be very grateful if someone who knows this stuff could give me a few tips and pointers.

1. I know there are several flex circuit prototyping companies advertising on the internet (All Flex Inc. Power Design Services), but can I realistically expect quotes similar to PCB costs or are they going to want thousands of dollars? Should I even bother asking them :???:

2. I think I've seen flex circuits soldered onto PCB directly without any interface. Is that correct? How might these solder pads be represented in EDA software? Also, can BGA (actually CSP - chip scale package) be soldered to a flex circuit or will it break off? What if I use epoxy to reinforce the connection?

3. Some people talk about impedance matching high frequency circuit PCBs / traces. I also know that impedance matching is only needed where the logic transition time is in the range of the round-trip time of a trace (https://www.edaboard.com/threads/142919/). Realistically, do I really need to worry about this? Can I just treat it like a normal DC circuit? The clock speed of this cam is 6 ~ 27 MHz, but for a QVGA 30 fps image I need the lower end of the range. The path from camera to micro controller is probably in the centimeter range.

(P.S. if anyone is interested I'm hoping to build the [to best of my knowledge] smallest first-person-view RC airplane!)

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back