Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Orthogonal Instruction set

Status
Not open for further replies.

PA3040

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear All
Please see picture

one feature is called, Orthogonal Instruction. what is this meaning
please advice
Instruction.GIF

It simply means that ALL instructions can be used on ALL registers. A non-orthogonal processor would have certain instructions which were only relevant to some registers because the source of data or it's destination are hard-coded in the instruction itself. In an orthogonal instruction, some of the bits are used to directly address the source or destination so by setting those bits you can use any register within their numerical range. If you look at the PIC instruction set you will see how the bits that form each instruction are split into different fields, some bits define the operation, some the source or destination. You can freely use any address you wish, even if the resulting instruction has little practical use.

Brian.

It simply means that ALL instructions can be used on ALL registers. A non-orthogonal processor would have certain instructions which were only relevant to some registers because the source of data or it's destination are hard-coded in the instruction itself. In an orthogonal instruction, some of the bits are used to directly address the source or destination so by setting those bits you can use any register within their numerical range. If you look at the PIC instruction set you will see how the bits that form each instruction are split into different fields, some bits define the operation, some the source or destination. You can freely use any address you wish, even if the resulting instruction has little practical use.
Brian.

Dear betwixt,
Thanks you very much for your explanation
as I know orthogonal mean perpendicular to the line or 90%
how this explanation represent this

Your mathematical definition is correct but in microcontroller terms it's meaning is slightly different. I can't think of another word to describe it better though!

I'ts used to mean "equal in all directions, where ever you start from".

Brian.

Reactions: PA3040

PA3040

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thanks betwixt

I think it likes Bread and butter, hehe

Dear betwixt,
Thanks you very much for your explanation
as I know orthogonal mean perpendicular to the line or 90%
how this explanation represent this

Dear PA3040, This also is similar to that 90 degree concept...
The word orthogonal, which means right angle in this context, implies that it is possible to move along one axis (the operations) independently of the other axis (the addressing modes) and vice versa. This meaning is similar, but not identical, to the meaning of the word in pure mathematics.

Reactions: PA3040

PA3040

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Dear PA3040, This also is similar to that 90 degree concept...
The word orthogonal, which means right angle in this context, implies that it is possible to move along one axis (the operations) independently of the other axis (the addressing modes) and vice versa. This meaning is similar, but not identical, to the meaning of the word in pure mathematics.

Dear errakeshpillai ,
Thanks for reply

I understood, but my hart does not understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.