Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

rotation motion to linear motion

Status
Not open for further replies.

mohamed.elsabagh

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
My purpose is to design a manual knob which when rotates clockwise or anti-clock wise it moves a vertical rod (which carries the load) up or down, and when the knob stops the rod should stay as it's carrying the load. I understand that ball screw drivers are not suitable with hand fed machines, any help??

I think we need a few definitions of the system for the plans

What is the length of the rod motion
What is the accuracy of the rod motion
What is loading power of the rod
Should this system be self-locking
Should system be linear to control
etc...

The length of the rod is about 20 cm.
The accuracy of the rod is not really important (not high).
I don't really understand what do you mean by the loading power, but if you mean the weight of the load it's won't be greater than 0.75 KG.
How could be the system self-locking??
It's linear.

I understand that ball screw drivers are not suitable with hand fed machines
Why, particularly?
How could be the system self-locking??
Self-retaining gear behaviour is achieved (possibly not reliably without an additional friction element) above a specific gear ratio. But I guess, a high gear ratio is unsuitable for your application (too many turns for a small movement). An explicite locking mechanism is most likely necessary.

about the hand fed part I read this information on the internet so I am not quite sure of it, is this right???

---------- Post added at 18:52 ---------- Previous post was at 18:26 ----------

actually I need my system to be self-locking, this exactly the word that describes my requirement. Thanks I just read about it.

Are you envisioning one rotation of the knob moves the full length of the shaft, or could be it require partial or multiple turns? Does the movement of the rod have to be proportional to the rotation of the knob? Does it have to be purely mechanical, or could it be motorized?

Ken

Are you envisioning one rotation of the knob moves the full length of the shaft, or could be it require partial or multiple turns? Does the movement of the rod have to be proportional to the rotation of the knob? Does it have to be purely mechanical, or could it be motorized?

Ken

It require multiple turns, that would be better ofcourse. The movement of the rod should be proportional to the knob sure. It has to be purely mechanical to reduce the cost.

Is the knob shaft perpendicular to the line of rod movement? Could it be parallel to the rod? What are your space limitations.

Can you tell us what you're designing? It might help. Sometimes it is easier to help solve your problem, than help solve you solution. ;)

Ken

Is the knob shaft perpendicular to the line of rod movement? Could it be parallel to the rod? What are your space limitations.

Can you tell us what you're designing? It might help. Sometimes it is easier to help solve your problem, than help solve you solution. ;)

Ken

No restrictions on the knob and the rod movement or space limitations. I am designing a device carrying fan in upside down position and I would like to use this knob to increase and decrease the distance between this fan and the upper side of the target.

How big is the fan? Photo or link? How is it mounted on the rod...or is that an option?

Ken

The fan is not so big it won't be larger than 80mm*80mm, I didn't choose it yet but how it's going to be mounted is an option

Free idea for further development...

Screw_Rod_Sys_01.jpg

Nice ideas guys thanks so much, but the fan in my case should not rotate but moves in z direction only and may be I need to add another direction which is y direction movement with another knob so what do you think?? I found a device which may be uses the same idea but with another application, I think it's using a worm gear!!!

addition to the post #13
Two axis movement

Screw_Rod_Sys_02.jpg

you can construct additional rotative joint between screw units
for angle adjustment

Screw_Rod_Sys_03.jpg

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor