Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Converting a PSU to a lab power supply - Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

georgz

Full Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, i have converted an old computer power supply to a lab supply and my question is this.
There are many 5Volt red cables, so if i want the maximum amps on 5V do i have to connect all the 5v cables together or i could use only one??

I would say that the 5V might be rated at 20 Amps, but to reduce the size of wire and connector pin size, 6 different outputs are used so each pin and wire only has to deal with 20/6 ~ 3 amps. If you want to use all 20 Amps then you have to use all the cables and connect them together behind your output terminal. Same reason for the earth/- 5V leads.
Frank

Reactions: georgz

georgz

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
At 5V it's rated at 30Amps and there are 8 red wires. Thanks for the quick reply! I will group every cable with the same color just to be sure!

Status
Not open for further replies.