Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Filters for hearing aids

Status
Not open for further replies.

pnielsen

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have seen 12 band programmable hearing aid devices on the internet for $1000 per ear? Is there any cheaper devices around! I am used to programming Cypress Psocs MCUS. I can't pay $2000 plus the software and what ever is required.

Thank You,

Philip

**broken link removed**

Thanks for the information. I have been looking at FIR filters, High pass etc.

Thank You,

Philip

Do you mean a 12-band equalizer? That would allow a tailor-made frequency response.

From what I understand the greatest need for a hearing aid is in senior citizens who lose hearing in the upper frequencies.

It would take an unusual pattern of hearing loss to need 12 bands of adjustment.

I found hearing aids for my mother on Ebay. Tiny, in the ear (not on the ear or around the ear). $350 a pair. They're not 12-band. One little knob adjusts volume. Another smaller knob adjusts frequency response. I can use them when I'm my mother's age because she didn't want to use them (no matter how much she needs them). I tried them and I noticed an outstanding boost in both volume and high frequencies.

I didn't care to go to a doctor. I knew he would charge a couple thousand dollars. The device itself is a minor part of the cost. The majority of the cost is for expected follow-up visits, testing, adjustments, etc. The keyword is 'expected' because the doctor wants to charge a patient enough to cover all his anticpated expenses. Maybe some goes into making molds of a person's ear canal, I don't know how often they want to make it that much effort.

I don't know how much money would go into the cost of the device in case of a 12 band hearing aid. I suspect that making them doesn't cost nearly half of the $1000 you quoted.

However the makers realize a customer expects to pay a lot of money. It has to do with the hope-for improvement in quality of life, as much as cost of the device itself.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.