Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Temperature Rise in OptoIsolator

Status
Not open for further replies.

soumen21

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have LTV844S optoisolator in one of my design. It has an operating temperature of -30 Deg C to +100 deg C. In our design we measured a maximum case temperature of 91 deg C at 70 deg C ambient. Want to know if this opto would be reliable if we go for conformal coating ?

Usually its better to have 10 deg margin from the rated to the practically observed case temperature for you go for conformal coating. What you measured is the case temperature of the opto. +100 deg is the maximum operating temperature (i.e the ambient temperature), junction temperature would be higher, typically 125 deg C. Case temperature normally would be slightly less (10%-15%) than junction temperature. Since you have measure 91 deg case temperature at 70 deg ambient, you can easily go for conformal coating.

Status
Not open for further replies.