Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Selection of Super capacitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nagasudha.c

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

In one of our applications, we are powering TECs using PWM signals.TEC is taking 10 volts @ 2A peak current for 50sec(worst case) while heating/cooling. After reaching the temperature it is consuming very less current of the order of 200mA. In the current system the powersupply is rated to supply the peak current.
Can I use super capacitor at the output of the power supply and take care of this high current bursts?
Please advice.

Yes, you do not need a super capacitor, just use a FBC (flipping big capacitor), it'll work. I used this some years ago to power an aerial change over motor rated at 4A from a 2A supply that was supplying other devices. Quite randomly I chose 47,000 MF and it worked. Because of the other devices I had the change over motor connected to the FBC and connected it then to the main Vcc line via 20 ohms. This was a safety arrangement, so if the motor did not home,its voltage would fall, but there would be enough voltage to keep the other kit working.
Frank

There is a 2200MF at the output of power supply. In addition to that, is there any other way to reduce the power supply rating? please advice

Status
Not open for further replies.