Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Seek Wire-to-Board connector recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmitchell

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I have around 50 wires that I wish to connect to a PCB board. These wires have a rubber handle after the pin with diameter 2.94mm and pin diameter 0.63mm.

wire.png

Previously, I use a breadboard as an intermediate hub to connect these wires to the PCB board. More concretely, wire pin (upper of picture) → breadboard→ another thinner wire (middle of picture)→ PCB board’s 1.27mm-pitch header (middle of picture). I had to do this because

1. The rubber handle’s diameter is too large for many of them to be inserted in parallel to the 1.27mm-pitch header.
  2. The pin diameter 0.63mm is also too large for the pin itself to be inserted into the 1.27mm-pitch header’s holes.
The thinner wires are actually without any handle, and the pins are exposed. An inadvertent touch is strong enough to push too pins together. In addition, the pins are too thin to be firmly inserted into the holes: there are too much extra spaces for them to move in the holes and an action like flipping the board would cause many pins to fall out. This is actually a very poor connection method.

I would like to seek recommendations on this wire-to-board connection:

1. For the 1.27mm-pitch header, do we have any wire with pins thinner enough to fit in properly and firmly?
  2. If no wire is available for (1), then for my original wire with thick pin and handle, do we have any wire-to-board connector that could firmly connect them the board, for example, with internal miniature pin clamp or pressing spring?

Matt

The header is female. Take a male header that mates perfectly with this one (its counter part). Connect it to a small size PCB with a suitable header with reasonable pitch (FRC or even IC base). The PCB may have tracks to connect or external wires can be used to take care of proper pins going to right place. This type of adapter will solve the problem. Other possibilities like soldering the wires directly / cutting the rubber part and using the wire directly etc also exist but as the relevance of these things is not known and you must have considered those so this solution.

ark5230,

Things like cutting the rubber part or using other connector board can absolutely been done. But is there any manufacturered connector to facilitate and make tidy all these?

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back