Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

TRS Jack insertion detection - tip detection not enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bt36

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I'm trying to develop a jack insertion detection circuit for a Cliff 1/4'' S1C StackJacks
stacked stereo TRS for my TMI (electronic drum Trigger to midi converter).

I'm seeing (at least I think I'm seeing) Cliff jack pins enabling you to independently detect the tip, ring and sleeve insertion.

I'm wondering - why would you ever want to detect more than the tip?

in what situation would you care to detect what seems to me as partially inserted plug?

just trying to save myself some trouble & deal with only one (tip detection) per jack.

Any thoughts are highly appreciated,

thanks !

The extra contacts are normally used for routing the connections, not for detection as such. For example, you could switch a signal source or ground the contacts when nothing is inserted.

Keith

Reactions: bt36

bt36

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hmm... Intersting.

Thanks Keith!

so if you use the sleeve for detection,

you might say : "use these two signals for the tip and sleeve if nothing is inserted, otherwise take those signals from the jack". clever.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back