Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to I get PCIe slot on my laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

siddharthakala

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
How do I get PCIe slot on my laptop

Hi Guys!!

I need a PCIe slot on my laptop. I dont know if anything exists that could help me get a PCIe card slot on my laptop. My laptop doesnot have an ExpressCard slot either. What I have are USB 2.0 slots, Ethernet slot, SD slot, etc. but no PCIe.

Please help mw with your suggestions.

Thanks

Last edited:

Not Possible if the processor chip set does not have a PICe SLOT :)

Hello the best option for you is ask from the software company.

In case your laptop computer is older, it's common for them to have a PCM-CIA slot.

Mine is a Compaq Presario built in 2003. The modem card went in the PCM-CIA slot. I removed it to put in a wi-fi card.

I wanted to make the right purchase. I soon found there were several PCI card formats. I looked at my card and compared it with pictures and measurements I saw at websites. That's the way to be sure.

Does your laptop have a phone modem jack? If so then check whether it has a modem card somewhere inside.

My laptop is a very new Samsung SF510 laptop with Intel i5 processor, 4gb RAM, ethernet, SD, USB2.0, DVD, VGA, etc. slots. It also shows PCIe in the Device Manager, but doesnt actually have a physical slot.

---------- Post added at 11:01 ---------- Previous post was at 10:55 ----------

In case your laptop computer is older, it's common for them to have a PCM-CIA slot.

Mine is a Compaq Presario built in 2003. The modem card went in the PCM-CIA slot. I removed it to put in a wi-fi card.

I wanted to make the right purchase. I soon found there were several PCI card formats. I looked at my card and compared it with pictures and measurements I saw at websites. That's the way to be sure.

Does your laptop have a phone modem jack? If so then check whether it has a modem card somewhere inside.

My laptop is a very new Samsung SF510 laptop with Intel i5 processor, 4gb RAM, ethernet, SD, USB2.0, DVD, VGA, etc. slots. It also shows PCIe in the Device Manager, but doesnt actually have a physical slot.

It does have a phone/modem jack, but I dont seem to find a way to open the laptop case to dig into to find a card. I will be contacting the Samsung service centre but aint expecting much from them.

Thanks a lot for the response :)

There is no PCI SLOT physically available in your Laptop. You have to get a USB port compatible card.

There is no PCI SLOT physically available in your Laptop. You have to get a USB port compatible card.

Thats exactly what I am asking for here. I have been trying to find something like this but couldnt get one. Can you suggest me something???

I think Raza meant that you should find the card you intend to use with the PCIe in a USB version, not a USB to PCIe converter.

What kind of card do you want to use with the PCIe?

What type of card you are intending to use ? Yes I meant to get a USB version of the card. Not possible to connect a PCI slot card using USB port. Or you can try a PCI to USB External converter/adapter.

I am trying to connect an FPGA with my PC for designing purposes. I have a half PCIe x1 on my FPGA kit, and want to start working on it and designing some relevant logic. I dont have too much knowledge about PCI.

I think I misunderstood Raza in earlier post. What I am looking for is a PCIe to USB or ethernet external bridge/converter/adapter or something of that start, so I could connect the FPGA's PCIe to my computer.

I found some similar stuff but very few details are available. for example
Marvell Yukon
https://www.marvell.com/pc-connectivity/assets/Marvell-Yukon-88E8059-GbE-Controller.pdf

But dont know if it would fulfill my purpose.

Please let me know if you know of some other devices.

Thanks a lot :)

I am trying to connect an FPGA with my PC for designing purposes. I have a half PCIe x1 on my FPGA kit, and want to start working on it and designing some relevant logic. I dont have too much knowledge about PCI.
You mean you want to develop a FPGA application that works as a peripheral on a PCIe slot? In that case I'd consider using an ordinary desktop with PCIe slots on the motherboard as dedicated development / test system. Not expensive, much easier to hang peripherals onto (and more room in the case). I doubt that a 2003 laptop would include any PCIe support (in the form of a slot, or otherwise).

If you mean you want to connect FPGA to your PC in order to configure that FPGA (design logic in it), you probably want a JTAG programming cable. Can be made as do-it-yourself using the parallel port, or cheap clones of USB programming cables can be found on the 'net (eBay mostly).

By the way: PCI != PCIe

PCIe is using the PCI communication model, that means it uses bus addresses to access device resources. For this reason an USB or Ethernet port can't be easily bridged to PCIe. A 32-Bit Cardbus slot (PCMCIA) possibly could, but it would need a complex bridge controller. I'm not aware of an existing product. Please notice, that available PCMCIA to Expresscard adapters don't provide a PCIe lane.

So the obvious solution to connect the PCIe card is a small PC mainboard. If you want to test PCIe connectivity of your FPGA board or develop respective applications, you can hardly avoid it.

You mean you want to develop a FPGA application that works as a peripheral on a PCIe slot? In that case I'd consider using an ordinary desktop with PCIe slots on the motherboard as dedicated development / test system. Not expensive, much easier to hang peripherals onto (and more room in the case). I doubt that a 2003 laptop would include any PCIe support (in the form of a slot, or otherwise).

I want to design logic related to PCIe usage to get basic/thorough understanding of PCIe. The problem is I dont have a desktop computer with me right now. My laptop is a recently bought (6 months old) high end Samsung SF510, not a 2003 computer.

If you mean you want to connect FPGA to your PC in order to configure that FPGA (design logic in it), you probably want a JTAG programming cable. Can be made as do-it-yourself using the parallel port, or cheap clones of USB programming cables can be found on the 'net (eBay mostly).

Thats not what I am looking for. I know very well how FPGAs work.

By the way: PCI != PCIe

I know PCI is not the same as PCI express.

My computer has PCI express slots listed on the Device Manager. But dont think there is any accessible PCIe (is there is any at all).

Will try to get access to my friends' desktop.

Thanks for the advice :)

---------- Post added at 18:10 ---------- Previous post was at 17:52 ----------

PCIe is using the PCI communication model, that means it uses bus addresses to access device resources. For this reason an USB or Ethernet port can't be easily bridged to PCIe. A 32-Bit Cardbus slot (PCMCIA) possibly could, but it would need a complex bridge controller. I'm not aware of an existing product. Please notice, that available PCMCIA to Expresscard adapters don't provide a PCIe lane.

So the obvious solution to connect the PCIe card is a small PC mainboard. If you want to test PCIe connectivity of your FPGA board or develop respective applications, you can hardly avoid it.

OK! This seems like the only way to connect my FPGA/PCIe card to a computer. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.